• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Receiver dying - good replacement?

uzor

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
7,657
So my 10 year old (approx) JVC receiver is starting to die (starting to get some bad digital-sounding artifacting regardless of the input/output settings), and I've started looking into replacements. From some previous searching, I have gotten the impression that Onkyo is one of the sturdier/best liked bang/buck receivers out there right now. I haven't looked through their entire product line, but from what I see here, the Onkyo TX-SR603X has the I/O I'm looking for and sounds like it has a good feature set for a 5.1 home theater setup (looking at the 7.1 for possible future expansion).

Anyone have thoughts on this as a replacement/upgrade for my HT setup? Alternatives? Good place to buy?

Thanks!

 
Panasonic XR-55 though they are difficult to find now. Don't pay more than $250 for one

Amazon and J&R are good places to buy them from
 
I second the XR-55 notion. Fully digital amps are the wave of the future. I love mine, couldn't ask for much more.

Oh and that Onkyo you posted is 6.1 not 5.1
 
Probably don't want to spend more than $400. I knew that the Onkyo I linked was more than 5.1, what I meant was that I have my speakers set up for 5.1 now, but having the option in the future to add that extra channel is something that I thought might be nice. Any comparable alternatives to the xr-55 that have better availability?

 
I know someone who has the Pioneer 815-K receiver and I helped them set it up. In my oppinion it's a very nice receiver. It's capable of 7.1 if you want it down the road, has quite a few inputs etc. It'll satisfy your budget without a doubt. It might be worth looking at at any rate.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_209695979,00.html

I have heard good things about Onkyo receivers in the past though as well as the mentioned Panasonic receiver. I've only seen/heard the Pioneer receiver though.
 
Back
Top