Receiver blew up, need suggestions

HeavensCloud

Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo
Ok not really, my trusty and beloved JVC RX-517V just lost right channel output so I am in need of a replacement. I'm using on-board audio out to the receiver right now. I just want 2 channel (stereo) sound, but I don't know whether I need a receiver or if an amp will work.

I don't use any other connections besides the single one for the computer, so I don't see why an amp couldn't work. The speakers are Acculine A1's, now the Arx A1 I guess? Specs as follows:
* Frequency Response: 60Hz-22kHz +/- 3dB
* Low Frequency cutoff: 40Hz -6dB
* Sensitivity (1w/1m): 84dB
* System type: Convertible bass reflex tuned to 53Hz
* Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
* Minimum impedance: 8 ohms
* Recommended Power: 20-100W

I want something small, not fancy, doesn't need many features.

Whats price point + do you need a remote and lots of inputs?

1-2 inputs. I almost got the YAMAHA AX-497 on sale at the egg for 199, but I'm looking at the Harman Kardon HK 3390 now. The yammy is an amp, the HK is a receiver. I don't need anything special. I just want goor sound with upgradability in case I want to hook them to one of my sets of floor-standing speakers.

Either option you mentioned should serve you well and sound good. If you ever wanted to add a subwoofer in the future, the subwoofer output on the back of the the HK 3390 could prove useful.

Hey thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even notice. I think that makes my decision for me.

Theres also the Onkyo HT-RC260 for $299 @ amazon.com and theres the Onkyo TX-8555 which has L/R speaker terminals and a subwoofer pre-out for $50 cheaper.

I have the Onkyo TX-SR605 downstairs, and I like to keep a variety of electronics around. I don't like sticking to one company unless they give me reason to stay away. I did look at the Onkyo TX-8555 but I would like to add something different to the mix. The HK looks pretty sweet too, Onkyos are quite plain and boring IMO and since it sits in front of me I would be looking at it a lot.

notes from companies i've owned recently:

yamaha makes a sweet ass receiver these days. the king of value in my opinion.

harman kardon sounds amazing and usually has more decoding/pre-amp/interface options than similar counterparts and while they are very cleanly powered, they are slightly underpowered.

onkyo is a good power value but is lackluster in looks, interface and reliability.

can't go too wrong in the budget arena though. just shy away from sony. i've been tempted to nab some of pioneers cheaper units for my pc as well.

again just my opinon on a few units i've owned recently and are a very small sample group.

You want a receiver for its dac. It will improve your onboard sound greatly.
Get a Denon, Yamaha or Onkyo. HK is ok but I have had 2 die on me within a month. Probably just a freak thing but yeah.

I have a Denon 589 and am happy with it for my tv setup.

Get a receiver with Audyssey. It will auto calibrate your speakers for a sweet spot. Really worth it.

Well I guess that would give me reason to not buy from them again haha. I just took my JVC apart and found a loose connection on the rear of the case was causing my issues. If I push or pull on the back of it I can get it working, but it is a very temporary fix. I do have time to research more now I guess. My speakers are on either side of my monitor about 2.5 feet from my skull - I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of auto calibrating needed lol.

You would be surprised. I get a noticeable improvement once I position and calibrate my speakers properly.

ATM the bottom of my two speakers are about even with the top of my head, 2 ft away and about 26"s apart.

My sub is behind me to my left in the middle of the wall length about 2 ft away from the wall and on some cork risers to get it off of the wood floors. Otherwise, it reverberates the floor and yeah.. So just an example of how audyssey can help. I do not have it for my pc setup. I have a huge, high end receiver but it does not have audyssey.

The denon runs my two 550MKII towers downstairs and I just ran the audyssey once and bingo.

Oh yeah, with the Audyssey you have a wider range of sweet spots. This is the area where you r system sounds the best. There is a marked difference on my pc setup when I move away from my sweet spot. On the Denon, you can sit pretty much anywhere and get a good response.

Last edited:
You want a receiver for its dac. It will improve your onboard sound greatly.
Get a Denon, Yamaha or Onkyo. HK is ok but I have had 2 die on me within a month. Probably just a freak thing but yeah.

I have a Denon 589 and am happy with it for my tv setup.

Get a receiver with Audyssey. It will auto calibrate your speakers for a sweet spot. Really worth it.

I'd agree Denon sounds best. When talking just sound I would go Denon>HK>Yamaha>Onkyo. Does sound like a fluke those two dying on you. Onkyo is the only name in that group that is know to run on the uber warm side, sometimes causing failures. That is why you can find so many of their refurbs for sale online. I would love to try Audyssey, I've heard their DSX sound processing is amazing.

Back