• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Receiver advice

rougeqc21

n00b
Joined
Oct 6, 2006
Messages
43
Alright, can yall point me in the right direction, keep price under 300 and I will be looking for used systems also.

I need a receiver that has these two things, optical in and xlr or 1/4 outs. does such a thing exist :rolleyes:
 
Not that I know of. Why do you need XLR outs for a receiver?

My budget receiver of choice is any in the Harman Kardon line. Clean, honest power and strong reliability.
 
Passive monitors are designed to be used with professional amps, not home theater receivers. You do have passive monitors, correct?
 
Alright. Odds are, you can just grab an RCA-to-1/4" TRS converter (if they make such a thing -- this isn't a typical way to do things) or have a custom cable made. This will give you an unbalanced signal, while the monitors are looking for a balanced signal, but there should be no issue. Check with the manufacturer first, however.

You can also use a DI box, a direct injection box, to convert the unbalanced line level signal from the receiver to a balanced signal out from XLR to the monitors.

This is yet another reason why using studio monitors with consumer equipment to listen to music or games or movies is overly difficult and pointless. Studio monitors, active and passive, are designed and intended to be used in the studio environment in the process of monitoring and mixing with professional equipment. If you were advised to buy monitors by someone here (or elsewhere) for general listening, you were given bad advice.
 
I think I am complicating this... The only time I get singal noise is from the wiring harness of the audigy. I hope the monster surge protector will help clean up the interference. When using my gigaworks there is no noise... strange
 
Back
Top