Received New FX-55 with seal broken

Islelight

n00b
I just received my FX-55 OEM from Tigerdirect with the seal broken. Actually, half of the seal was missing. Would you RMA the CPU especially with the high cost of this item or am I overreacting? THANKS!

I would call them up, And, IMO RMA It, can you see the chip? are there any noticable scraches or dents? This seems (maybe im just being paranoid) the the deliveryperson took it out, and replaced it with a less powerful one.,

Call them up and tell them, Personally I would RMA It

purefun65 said:
does it work? if so and it recognizes as a fx55 then keep it

I dont think he should open it, If he does, then he finds out its actually some other card, People at tiger will be all "OMG You switched it ursef, what do you think we are NOOBS!!!11111!11111111!!!!!!11ONE!!!!!1"

I already called them and they gave me an RMA#. I just have all the parts of my new computer waiting for this CPU so Im kind of pissed having to wait probably another week to a week and a half for it.The package was opened because the seal was broken. I took it out and it doesnt look scratched or any thing. It is an FX-55 as far as what is stamped on the cpu. Just wondered what other peole would do in this situation. THANKS!

Well, it's possible to switch heatspreaders with another CPU, but I think you'd notice. I would check it first to see if it clocks well, but it seems it's too late for that.

put the damn thing in and fire her up. you have an rma # so bench that puppy then decide if you want to return it. :D

since you have the cpu in your posession and you arleady have an rma number, why not pop it in and see how high if OCs, if it overclocks awesome then keep it, if it is just ok send it back and hope the one you get next will be better.

by all means test it out before you waste money and/or time sending it back

I know it's starting to sound like a broken record, but test it first. If it works, fine, keep it. If it doesn't, send it back. Then again, I wouldn't expect much more from TigerDirect.

If it's OEM and they gave you a RMA#, they're being nice. Since it's OEM, they could send it in a cigarette box if they wanted to. :)

agree put the chip in boot it up. See what it detects Bios/CPUID and if its FX55 and it works fine just keep it =P ;)

Read some of these after I sent it back. Just wanted to start with a "sealed" FX-55. A lot of people, especially on e-bay, have a product listed as "still sealed" as a major part of their selling point. To me it is worth the week wait for the replacement. It might be a "little" paranoia, but I plan on having this particular computer for the next 3 to 5 years with what Im putting in it.
Im matching the FX-55 with an MSI NEO4 Platinum Ultra, an ATI X850XT Platinum with two Corsair CMX512-3200XLPRO 512 MB DDR400 and a Western Digital 80 GiG 7200 rpm Special Edition HDD.
Thanks for your feedback!

Islelight said:
Read some of these after I sent it back. Just wanted to start with a "sealed" FX-55. A lot of people, especially on e-bay, have a product listed as "still sealed" as a major part of their selling point. To me it is worth the week wait for the replacement. It might be a "little" paranoia, but I plan on having this particular computer for the next 3 to 5 years with what Im putting in it.
Im matching the FX-55 with an MSI NEO4 Platinum Ultra, an ATI X850XT Platinum with two Corsair CMX512-3200XLPRO 512 MB DDR400 and a Western Digital 80 GiG 7200 rpm Special Edition HDD.
Thanks for your feedback!

well, you're lucky if the pc lasts 3 years :p.. things change pretty fast.. but anyhow, get a raptor HD instead, the pc will be a little more responsive.

mjz_5 said:
well, you're lucky if the pc lasts 3 years :p.. things change pretty fast.. but anyhow, get a raptor HD instead, the pc will be a little more responsive.

agree, get raptor wd74g, not the wd36g and keep the other drive you currently own for your bad habbits ;)

if you ordered the raptor now it will arrive with the cpu at the same time or maybe before the cpu.

If I didnt have a disk, I would get the Raptor, but, Im taking the disk out of my other computer where the motherboard went bad. The special edition is a pretty decent HDD. Granted, the raptor is better, but this one will do just now. Will probably upgrade the HDD in the near future!

Islelight said:
I just received my FX-55 OEM from Tigerdirect with the seal broken. Actually, half of the seal was missing. Would you RMA the CPU especially with the high cost of this item or am I overreacting? THANKS!
was it an oem? if so it doesnt matter....they dont come from the factory on boxes...
fire it up....

awesome chip, i would just keep it...

i think tiger direct likes to kick everything a couple times before they ship it, my last case i bought there had a dent in it!

Back