Received defective Item

clemsyn

Limp Gawd
I recently purchased a 7750 which has no output via DVI connection, on VGA and even at VGA it won't boot to Windows or Linux. I filed a complaint via PP for refund and he wants the GPU back. I would like a refund first and if I do ship back, want the costs of shipping back. I have PM'd him multiple times and only got 1 response. I finally got another response after PP resolution request. Please advice. Thanks.

i thought that was the normal protocol? paypal has to see that you shipped an item of the same weight back to him before they can refund you afaik

So should I have shipped it first before I filed PP complaint? Also, any advice to get it work would be appreciated. Here are the things I have done

1. DVI has no output in initial boot
2. VGA has output on text but upon boot to windows or linux....I get nothing
3. I have tried it on 2 motherboards with same results

Any ideas? I mean the seller had good heat so I don't think he will sell me a bad card.

It's rare that someone will refund before getting the item back.

I personally wouldn't refund without the item back. There's no "refund protection" for the seller if they giveyou a refund and you ddon't ship back

Simple way is to send it back with tracking and have him sign for it. Would you refund someone money and not get your item in return? What if someone bought a item and then said, "Hey this doesn't work." You wouldn't know if it was bad or not. So why refund money until you get it back to at least test it or look for signs of damage from the user.

Thanks for the replies. Asking for the refund was the a good way to get a response from the seller. I see him getting online but no response from the seller. Anyways, he just informed me that he would not cover the cost of shipping back :( so it gives me more reason to try to get this to work. Of all the devices I bought here in Hardforums, this is the only one that gave me issues.

Last edited:
So if it doesn't work, just return it. I don't know why you're trying to fix it. What is you break it? Then the problem just got bigger. It's going to be a "he said she said" complaint. Worse you can lose from shipping is 15 shipped with tracking. But I do feel for you. I would be hella pissed if I received a defective unit advertised as working.

It could be some type of compatibility issue, in which case I don't blame the seller for not refunding the return shipping. I've had people return stuff and got it back 100% working, why should I lose return shipping because the buyer had an incompatibility problem of couldn't make the item work?

Now if it does get returned and there is an isse, I typically cover the return shipping as well, unless there is some obvious damage done to the item, which I've had happen as well. In that case, you broke it, you bought it and I send the broken item back.

I appreciate all the reply here. We were able to figure it out but the DVI connection is really broken. No output. Would have been nice to know that before buying it.

We have to put the video card in the extra pci-e slot via pci-e riser and increase the voltage in the bios to allow it to completely boot to windows in the VGA slot. So I'm OK with VGA output.

Now, should I leave a negative heat or not....hmmm..What do you think?

So you are going to now keep the card? If he told you everything worked on it and it doesn't. It is basically up to you in what to leave. As everyone here will have a different outlook on this matter.

I appreciate all the reply here. We were able to figure it out but the DVI connection is really broken. No output. Would have been nice to know that before buying it.

We have to put the video card in the extra pci-e slot via pci-e riser and increase the voltage in the bios to allow it to completely boot to windows in the VGA slot. So I'm OK with VGA output.

Now, should I leave a negative heat or not....hmmm..What do you think?

Was the item received as described?

Depending on how helpful the seller was and how satisfied with the outcome you are, I'd leave either positive or neutral -- tending towards positive. Negative IMO would be appropriate only if it couldn't avoid the trash bin.

But then I'm naturally kinda a nice guy who doesn't want trouble ;)

Well, he didn't tell me that DVI was broken. My monitor has VGA input but would have been better to connect via DVI. I got it cheap for 33 USD so shipping it back and losing 15 USD is not worth it, might as well just use it. I also closed the dispute and thank my friend in helping me troubleshoot it. Not sure why it needed a bump of voltage though but my friend said that its reason I wasn't getting any output in windows or linux (black screen) on boot.

Well if the DVI was broken, then the seller should have advertised it. If it was me, I would leave neutral heat regardless if it was cheap or not. If a seller sells an item and states that everything is in working condition, it should be.
Well, he didn't tell me that DVI was broken. My monitor has VGA input but would have been better to connect via DVI. I got it cheap for 33 USD so shipping it back and losing 15 USD is not worth it, might as well just use it. I also closed the dispute and thank my friend in helping me troubleshoot it. Not sure why it needed a bump of voltage though but my friend said that its reason I wasn't getting any output in windows or linux (black screen) on boot.

It's really hard to make a call on this without the seller adding their side of the story. If the seller offered to accept the item back and they didn't know it was damaged, I can't see a neutral if the buyer wanted to keep the card. If he tried working with the buyer on a resolution then he shouldn't get penalized.

You stated you got a response after filing the paypal claim. What did he say in the response?

This is what is wrong with Heatware now. You still would leave a Positive after getting a defective item. That is pure stupid and bull crap also. Why the heck would you leave a positive for? Let me answer it because YOU wouldn't want the other guy to leave the same as a would make your feedback look bad. Because he would do it to be dirty right? It is people like you that mess up feedback sites. Now the next guy sees all positive buys something and gets shafted. Now he thinks why would the seller do this as he has all positive feedback. Why because you didn't leave the proper feedback.

Depending on how helpful the seller was and how satisfied with the outcome you are, I'd leave either positive or neutral -- tending towards positive. Negative IMO would be appropriate only if it couldn't avoid the trash bin.

But then I'm naturally kinda a nice guy who doesn't want trouble ;)

Last edited:
You stated you got a response after filing the paypal claim. What did he say in the response?

This is what is wrong with Heatware now. You still would leave a Positive after getting a defective item. That is pure stupid and bull crap also. Why the heck would you leave a positive for? Let me answer it because YOU wouldn't want the other guy to leave the same as a would make your feedback look bad. Because he would do it to be dirty right? It is people like you that mess up feedback sites. Now the next guy sees all positive buys something and gets shafted. Now he thinks why would the seller do this as he has all positive feedback. Why because you didn't leave the proper feedback.

1+ this in a nut shell

Let me answer it because YOU wouldn't want the other guy to leave the same as a would make your feedback look bad.

I'll try and keep this civil, and I hope you'll do the same.

Your quoted statement above is, at least in the case of me, somewhat incorrect. While I would prefer to avoid retaliatory feedback, and negative feedback in general, that is not the primary purpose of me leaving a positive.

Perhaps I should be a little more clear about my thinking.

If the seller is happy and I am happy, then I believe that there's no reason for a negative, and I'd be extremely hesitant to leave a neutral. If one of us is "meh" or unhappy, then someone's not doing what they're supposed to and neutral or negative is warranted. If the seller wants to leave me negative feedback and I don't feel it's what I deserve, I'll gladly ask heatware to look it over, and I'll keep trying to do better in the future. I like to think that I'm a good-natured honest fellow, and I expect of others only the same. If I meet someone who is not a good-natured honest fellow, I figure it out pretty quickly, and they go on their merry way with neither my goods nor my money.

He told him the card worked fine. And it has issues and can't even get a response and had to open a paypal dispute. If you think that still deserves a Positive then great for you. But if someone doesn't respond and try to fix the issue then it honestly doesn't deserve a Positive.

By your logic, It is like going to a restaurant, ordering a dinner and then them bringing you the wrong meal or cooked wrong, etc. You then eat it anyway because you are a nice guy. Pay for it and then leave a compliment on how great the food was before you leave. If that is how you do things then it is fine for you. But that isn't how it works with me.

Hopefully everyone can be civil but that isn't how the world works though.

I'll try and keep this civil, and I hope you'll do the same.

Your quoted statement above is, at least in the case of me, somewhat incorrect. While I would prefer to avoid retaliatory feedback, and negative feedback in general, that is not the primary purpose of me leaving a positive.

Perhaps I should be a little more clear about my thinking.

If the seller is happy and I am happy, then I believe that there's no reason for a negative, and I'd be extremely hesitant to leave a neutral. If one of us is "meh" or unhappy, then someone's not doing what they're supposed to and neutral or negative is warranted. If the seller wants to leave me negative feedback and I don't feel it's what I deserve, I'll gladly ask heatware to look it over, and I'll keep trying to do better in the future. I like to think that I'm a good-natured honest fellow, and I expect of others only the same. If I meet someone who is not a good-natured honest fellow, I figure it out pretty quickly, and they go on their merry way with neither my goods nor my money.

I don't think you're understanding me, and I can't think of any other ways to phrase what I'm trying to say, so I'm going to shrug and leave this be.

If the seller helped you out in figuring what to do to get it working, then I'd consider a positive response in Heat, but in there I'd also explain the sale and the item.

Secondly, let's say you buy a GPU from newegg.
It's got a problem, you need to RMA it.
You have to pay to ship it back, so I don't get your griping about the seller wanting you to pay to send it back to him......that's how I work all my sales.
If something arrives to the buyer broken, they send it back on their dime. If it's bad and I said it was good.....refund, no questions asked.

Lastly, in this case, if I was the seller, and you wanted to keep the item, and could prove to me somehow the thing was half broken.......I'd at least give you some money back.:D

The question is what would you like to happen to make you happy? Partial refund? Since you said it is a waste of money to return, that is your only choice. Explain to the seller you would like $xx amount back, if he agrees, positive heat. If he doesn't, leave him neutral or negative. Not rocket science fellas.

I sold a H100 with missing hardware and just went to corsair and bought him a full hardware kit shipped to him on my dime.
Had a member find a couple flaws cosmetically on a video card, I refunded 15% in good faith because pictures were present.
Talk with the seller before leaving heat. If he refuses to help you out in some way, neutral or negative.

I left a negative feedback so other buyers will be aware of this.

Wow. Things have turned a different direction then.

:eek: yea I agree! Wow. Ya know Clemsyn, things, especially electronics, can get damaged during shipping at no fault to the seller. That is one of the main reasons I always insure everything I ship!

Is the seller not even willing to work with you? I mean to leave negative heatware seems pretty extreme unless the seller would not do anything. This just makes me never want to work with you as sh!t can happen.

Back