Reccomendations for Home Router/Switch

If i were going looking on ebay id get a cheaper one like mine which i think is an SB61G2, for the untangle box, and one of the better Socket AM2 or Intel Core2 capable ones for a server.

But, there are many great Mini-ITX boards out now that can take advantage of a wide variety of CPU's. and that further extends the posabilities.

I've been seriously considering scrapping my M-AXT server build in favor of a Mini-ITX form factor. Space is at somewhat of a premium and while i'd love to be able to drop $1000 on a Mac Mini server, I just can't afford it. So i'm forced to scrounge ebay and my used parts bin to see what i can come up with.

Yes that would be exactly my situation, and what i might end up doing :)

If i were going looking on ebay id get a cheaper one like mine which i think is an SB61G2, for the untangle box, and one of the better Socket AM2 or Intel Core2 capable ones for a server.

But, there are many great Mini-ITX boards out now that can take advantage of a wide variety of CPU's. and that further extends the posabilities.

I've been seriously considering scrapping my M-AXT server build in favor of a Mini-ITX form factor. Space is at somewhat of a premium and while i'd love to be able to drop $1000 on a Mac Mini server, I just can't afford it. So i'm forced to scrounge ebay and my used parts bin to see what i can come up with.

Check ebay for the 1/2 depth servers rack mount servers. Would be easy to mount under a shelf or desk. I am trying to find one that is not a PO for cheap to play with, thinking of making a dedicated UT box at the house. I could get to the point where I could shut down my esxi server as the rest of the vm's do not get used that often to justify the power consumption.

Check ebay for the 1/2 depth servers rack mount servers. Would be easy to mount under a shelf or desk. I am trying to find one that is not a PO for cheap to play with, thinking of making a dedicated UT box at the house. I could get to the point where I could shut down my esxi server as the rest of the vm's do not get used that often to justify the power consumption.

Funny you should mention that. I was looking at 2U boxes earlier for my Phenom guts. I dont know why I never thought of it before.

Funny you should mention that. I was looking at 2U boxes earlier for my Phenom guts. I dont know why I never thought of it before.

I was thinking of the 1/2 depth boxes for UT, then I uncovered this HP slimline pc with a single core sempron cpu, socket for am2+ i believe. It needs a psu, ram, and some nics but then I could dedicated UT and power off my esxi box, and look into what is avail to shut off disks in whs to save power. Man, supping down those disks would reduce some heat:p

I just picked up a little half depth 2U Norco box on ebay for $50 shipped. Should fit perfectly where I want it to go.

My Antennae came in for my wireless card but no sign of the card just yet *2 seperate ebay auctions*.

I'm looking at one of the SuperMicro 1U server with an Intel Atom D510 (newer dual core model), with onboard Intel NICs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=supermicro_atom-_-16-101-332-_-Product

I love the idea of the Firebox...but in looking at the specs quickly, those Fireboxes have Realtec NICs. And *nix distros that deal with more UTM features and stronger QoS (like PFSense) suck mighty ass on software driven NICs like the RealSucks. Unless those Fireboxes have some more unusual model of a Realtec that's much better for some reason..but I don't recall seeing that anywhere. Yeah they'll appear to work, and most people will think they work OK...but when you see what they can REALLY do on good hardware NICs..you'll realize you missed the bus.

I've been looking at those supermicro atom boxes too, I just can't afford the nice ones just yet. the one with the dual nics and all those SATA ports is very nice.

On ebay there's some superstore from California that has them a little bit cheaper than the Egg. Just be careful, some models have the realtek NICs.

I'm also torn as to trying to find a model that has a basic Dual Core processor instead of the Atom. Not much more money, only a little more watts...but so much more performance..just in case I wanna have more headroom for some UTM distros. The newer dual core Atoms are supposed to be decent to run UTMs like Untangle for a home user with just a few...but I'd like to know I have more processor that "decent". Although I'm sure I'll be back to trusty old PFSense for home....but I wanna try IPFire too.

i've looked into nearly everything out there. including Mini-ITS boards for more powerful CPU's. The firebox should work out for what im wanting to use it for. the Norco box is going to house a complete system that ive already got the guts for sitting here. Which is my old Phenom X4 system. Already has 8gb ram so i figured id re-puspose it rather than part it all out. That box will hopefully be running 2008 R2 eventually. As soon as my wireless NIC comes in we'll see if the firebox was the right solution. This is all more for my own experimentation than anything else as the old Linksys SOHO stuff ive got has been working fine for years.

eBay has been my source for pretty much everything except the firebox that I got from a local [H] member friend of mine. So far ive been having a lot of fun working with the new hardware and software ive tried so far. Not sure I need Untangle yet, although ive got it running on my old XPC. still need to try to put it into production.

I'm looking at one of the SuperMicro 1U server with an Intel Atom D510 (newer dual core model), with onboard Intel NICs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=supermicro_atom-_-16-101-332-_-Product

I love the idea of the Firebox...but in looking at the specs quickly, those Fireboxes have Realtec NICs. And *nix distros that deal with more UTM features and stronger QoS (like PFSense) suck mighty ass on software driven NICs like the RealSucks. Unless those Fireboxes have some more unusual model of a Realtec that's much better for some reason..but I don't recall seeing that anywhere. Yeah they'll appear to work, and most people will think they work OK...but when you see what they can REALLY do on good hardware NICs..you'll realize you missed the bus.

Same unit I am looking at, in the same boat as you on the cost vs doing with something a little more.

DELL PowerConnect 2724 is on the way, Once ive got all that setup I can finally make the hardware switch to the new stuff. Guess I'd better pick up a few good Cat5e or Cat6 cables.

And now I see an Atom D525 is coming out...I wonder when the Supermicro 1U box will be avail with that CPU.

Probably not too long. Good thing about those Atoms as they they are 64bit OS capable. Ive not attempted to run a server OS on one though.

My Norco box arrived, just waiting on the Heat Sink to get here so I can throw the server together finally. Depending on the speed/noise of those 2x80mm fans in the front I may have to swap them out for better models. And I will be cutting a breathing hold for my PSU as well. All in good time.

Probably not too long. Good thing about those Atoms as they they are 64bit OS capable. Ive not attempted to run a server OS on one though.

My Norco box arrived, just waiting on the Heat Sink to get here so I can throw the server together finally. Depending on the speed/noise of those 2x80mm fans in the front I may have to swap them out for better models. And I will be cutting a breathing hold for my PSU as well. All in good time.

you must post pictures :)

Whelp I just pulled the trigger at NewEgg
I have the SuperMicro in my shopping cart from NewEgg.
I decided to change the motherboard to the front panel model...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811152107

I got the Atom D510 mobo combo with the remote management IPMI 2.0 option and dual Intel gigabit LANs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182238

And a Seagate Pipeline drive...a "green" hard drive designed for ultra low power consumption, quietness, and low heat output.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148556

Total is 359.97

The only gripe ive got with that motherboard is that it uses SODIMM's. But, That's likely due to thet fact that after they were done packing that motherboard with as much stuff as they could fit on it they only had room for SODIMM slots, lol. So I guess it's not a huge deal.

I think i'd have gone with the case that had the normal motherboard orientation. But that's just personal preference.

I can't wait to see your thoughts and evaluations on the performance with what you decide to put on it.

What are you going to be running on it, BTW?

I don't mind the laptop memory....we have boxes of them at the office from doing laptop upgrades so I'm sure I can scrounge around and find a pair of 1 gig sticks.

I changed from the normal chassis with the I/O at the rear, to the one with the I/O at the front...just figured it made more sense for a 12U rack cabby that will have switches 'n what not all forward facing. I just stumbled across that front I/O chassis yesterday...glad I found it.

I'm not sure which distro I'll be running on her...right away I want to say PFSense...because that's what I've mostly run for the past couple of years. But I wouldn't mind dorking around with Astaro some more....if I can get the QoS more where I want it. And lastly...I may run Untangle for a while...which would be nice so I can build perma VPN tunnels to my office and to some clients for doing remote work.

When the Atom D525 comes out...I may pickup another one of these..but with the newer mobo/Atom...larger hard drive..and make that a little ESXi lab.

The new house I just bought....(well, it's not a brand new build..but new for me)...I have a large 3 story house, plus an inground pool, water garden..both of those with lots of exterior mood lighting, plus a poolhouse cabana..and a gazebo desk area with lighting....so I need to ditch my power hungry IT stuff and go with low consumption gear.

Stuff came in Monday...built it..
Installed Untangle on Tuesday...installed fine, recognized NICs, ran well
Installed Astaro this morning...installed fine, recognized NICs, taking it home to run for a while....it may stay, or PFSense will go on there.
Impressed with the SuperMicro setup I got above...naturally very quiet, nice case/chassis.

Stuff came in Monday...built it..
Installed Untangle on Tuesday...installed fine, recognized NICs, ran well
Installed Astaro this morning...installed fine, recognized NICs, taking it home to run for a while....it may stay, or PFSense will go on there.
Impressed with the SuperMicro setup I got above...naturally very quiet, nice case/chassis.

No pictures ?

Is it true, that Astaro, has no virus protection etc etc ? I'm loving my untangle!

I thnk that's true. But on the machine im using this on Astaro runs so much better. We'll see. Why not run them all? put NAT's on top of NATS and firewalls and things, a connection so secure not even you can access it ;)

I thnk that's true. But on the machine im using this on Astaro runs so much better. We'll see. Why not run them all? put NAT's on top of NATS and firewalls and things, a connection so secure not even you can access it ;)

NAW! the reason i asked was i was going to install Astaro, but if there is no av then ill just stick with Untangle.

I think with in a few months I will be come a partner with Untangle.

Astaro home comes with 2..yes...two..antivirus engines. :D

I've been a longtime fan of Untangle..I even signed up as a reseller..but Astaro has been around a long time, I didn't like early versions, but it's really matured, it's very slick. The dashboard alone is awesome, reporting is very well done, and it runs a bit lighter than Untangle.

Check out the screenies on their site of their free home version. :cool:

Astaro home comes with 2..yes...two..antivirus engines. :D

I've been a longtime fan of Untangle..I even signed up as a reseller..but Astaro has been around a long time, I didn't like early versions, but it's really matured, it's very slick. The dashboard alone is awesome, reporting is very well done, and it runs a bit lighter than Untangle.

Check out the screenies on their site of their free home version. :cool:

Is setting up VPN's as easy as it is with Untangle ? I really like how Untangle blocks and monitors everything. I really like the av protection built in.

untangle.JPG

Is setting up VPN's as easy as it is with Untangle ? I really like how Untangle blocks and monitors everything. I really like the av protection built in.

I haven't piddled with the Astaros VPN yet....but it does have SSL VPN.
You want to see Untangle block stuff...you should try it with the Kaspersky antivirus module, and for spam filtering..the CommTouch spam booster. The antivirus that comes with the freebie...that's just Clam..which..quite honestly...ain't that great. We process 7,000 e-mails per day (and growing as we filter more clients) through our Untangle box in our office....that, combined with having quite a few Untangle installs at clients...both the basic free package, plus various pay for packages...I get to see which ones work well, which options are actually useful.

I'm not knocking Untangle..I use it at a lot of clients...since the basic package is still free for businesses, and Astaro's UTM product does not have a free version for businesses. So basic Untangle is still way better than any plain NAT router.

I haven't piddled with the Astaros VPN yet....but it does have SSL VPN.
You want to see Untangle block stuff...you should try it with the Kaspersky antivirus module, and for spam filtering..the CommTouch spam booster. The antivirus that comes with the freebie...that's just Clam..which..quite honestly...ain't that great. We process 7,000 e-mails per day (and growing as we filter more clients) through our Untangle box in our office....that, combined with having quite a few Untangle installs at clients...both the basic free package, plus various pay for packages...I get to see which ones work well, which options are actually useful.

I'm not knocking Untangle..I use it at a lot of clients...since the basic package is still free for businesses, and Astaro's UTM product does not have a free version for businesses. So basic Untangle is still way better than any plain NAT router.

How much is it for the Kaspersky av for the untangle ? Im just using mine at home and love it. I hope soon to build a few for the other company i do work for, to use as a site to site vpn plus at his house for security for his kids computers PLUS av software to help with viruses and spyware.

Soon when i make some more money, i will buy a 1u supermicro box dedicated to a Untanlge firewall PLUS one WAP device in the house.

How much is it for the Kaspersky av for the untangle ? Im just using mine at home and love it. I hope soon to build a few for the other company i do work for, to use as a site to site vpn plus at his house for security for his kids computers PLUS av software to help with viruses and spyware.

Soon when i make some more money, i will buy a 1u supermicro box dedicated to a Untanlge firewall PLUS one WAP device in the house.

Pricing for Untangle varies..based on if you're doing individual "ala carte" components...in which Kaspersky starts at about 100 bucks per year for the 1-10 PC bracket, or it's included in some of their "bundle" deals with other components. Which are good for business because most of the bundles include other things you'd want like support, directory connector, online backup, etc.

Not really cost effective for the home user. Which isn't really what Untangle is designed for, they're aimed at the SMB market.

does those d510 handle a business network? or way to underpowered?

I don't know..on good Intel NICs with 4 gigs of RAM I'm sure it would do fine for a dozen or twenty rigs that don't put a heavy load on it. If you're talking about a business with 50 users and an Exchange server with heavy SMTP flow going through the scanner....it may get doggy there and get slow. I wouldn't want to have any VoIP stuff on that either. But for a light small office with basic web use....I'm sure the D510 is fine.

our machine at our office is on the asus barebone with 2GB and pentium dual core, runs well.

what are you recommending for the offices? building or buying? i see they changed all the stuff up, how is the AD integration still with that silly login script?

Yeah a Pentium Dual Core will do fine.
At our office we're running it on a Proliant with dual dual core Xeons! She never sees above .99 on the CPU load even pumping around 8 thousand e-mails per day. :)
For clients my colleague has been sticking it in ESXi, I've been using Proliant 1U servers and Dell R200 servers..and I still have a few out there for smaller clients on business grade P4 small form factor desktops.
I am considering building the 1U short chassis Supermicro cases with the Supermicro mobo's and that WD cool low power drive.

what else you running with the esx i on? see the cost of an r210 is right around like a grand, which is alot for the firewall.

will research still want to deploy to some clients, dont really have one I want to test it on, most have postini already, but maybe I have one. I want to get the machine cost to be around $300-$350. Only thing I would want to add is Spam Protection and Kapersky. YOu still run ESET as well then?

Of course I still run Eset at the desktops.
I forget what else he has on that ESXi..it's probably a DL360 dual quad core xeon box with 12 or so gigs of RAM and a buncha 15k sas drives, it's running the network for a town hall, tied in with fire department, police department..prolly a DC there, Exchange, and file storage..so prob 3x other Winders servers.

The anti spyware module is also worth a lot..and it's in the free package. cuts way way back on your rogue/fake alert calls. ;)

Back