reccomend me a PS2 wheel for GT4

SayNoToPistons

[H]ard|Gawd
next week im going to trade my Tm MP5a5(airsoft gun) for a PS2 in OK condition, GT4, 32mb memcard, 1 controller, and 512 x2 pc3200 ram. really excited about this since my last system that i had was a super nintendo which i got when i was 5 or 6 or something like that. im going to go to a junkyard and find a car seat so i can sit and play GT4 with a wheel. can someone reccomdn me a good wheel? ive heard lots of good things about the Logitech driving force wheel (or somethinglike that i dont remember whats its called.) since it has very good force feed back and 900 degree steering which is very important to me. the thing is, i dont want to be paying too much for a wheel, i dont want to be paying more than 120 dollars. can someone reccomend me a good wheel (or place to find the 900degree logitech for heap) that has force feed back, pedals, shifter? also 900 degree steering would be the best too. also would USB PC steering wheels work also ont he ps2 or woulld a ps2 wheel work on a PC?

I have the Driving Force Pro, and, IMO, it's worth the money. Next best thing to driving a real car (as far as console gaming goes, anyway). A couple things to note, though.

-The 900 degree thing isn't too influential in most racing...i've played with it for hours, and can't ever recall having to turn the wheel to one lock or the other...if you're driving the car correctly, you shouldn't be. Just my opinion of the feature, of course.

-The pedals and pedal assembly aren't suited to people with large feet...I find myself hitting both at the same time inadvetently, and i'm not using both feet. See if you try it in a brick and mortar store before you order it (fry's may have them on display, if you've got one of those local to you), and make sure that isn't going to bother you. I also think it could be anchored better on the ground, but that's not a huge problem.

Other than that, it's great. I'm never going back to a controller. I think it works with the PC, but i've yet to try it.

I bought mine for $112 shipped on Amazon

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Demon4545 said:
I have the Driving Force Pro, and, IMO, it's worth the money. Next best thing to driving a real car (as far as console gaming goes, anyway). A couple things to note, though.

-The 900 degree thing isn't too influential in most racing...i've played with it for hours, and can't ever recall having to turn the wheel to one lock or the other...if you're driving the car correctly, you shouldn't be. Just my opinion of the feature, of course.

-The pedals and pedal assembly aren't suited to people with large feet...I find myself hitting both at the same time inadvetently, and i'm not using both feet. See if you try it in a brick and mortar store before you order it (fry's may have them on display, if you've got one of those local to you), and make sure that isn't going to bother you. I also think it could be anchored better on the ground, but that's not a huge problem.

Other than that, it's great. I'm never going back to a controller. I think it works with the PC, but i've yet to try it.

I bought mine for $112 shipped on Amazon

the stores near me dont seem to be carrying PS2 wheels. they allcarry USB pc wheels. are those capable for ps2, and are ps2 capable for pc, also where is the shifter located on the wheel? anymore cheaper places to get the driving force pro? and final thing is are there any other 900degree or 240+ degree turning wheels? thats all same questions basically.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Regarding the USB/PC/PS2, i'm not sure...that's a big gray area that i'm not familiar with.

Regarding the shifter: There are "paddle" style buttons on the back of the wheel, and a small shifter mechanism to the right of it...you can use either or both, they both do the same thing.

I saw some DFPs for under $100 on ebay, but the auctions looked shady. Either that, or look around a bit on pricewatch and see what you can find.

I'm not too sure about the other choices...they're out there, but i'm not familiar with them. Maybe someone else can answer that one...

dont waste your money on the driving force pro

just get the normal driving force; so what if you dont have that gimmicky shifter (its only up/down anyways)

and the 900 degree turning only really works with gt4.... its a waste IMO

Demon4545 said:
Regarding the USB/PC/PS2, i'm not sure...that's a big gray area that i'm not familiar with.

Regarding the shifter: There are "paddle" style buttons on the back of the wheel, and a small shifter mechanism to the right of it...you can use either or both, they both do the same thing.

I saw some DFPs for under $100 on ebay, but the auctions looked shady. Either that, or look around a bit on pricewatch and see what you can find.

I'm not too sure about the other choices...they're out there, but i'm not familiar with them. Maybe someone else can answer that one...
ok thanks. how does the small shifter to the rght of the steering wheel work? like an ordinary 6 speed shifer you fine on cars or just up and down like a lever?

edit: to the poster about he normal driving force. the normal driving force has 900 dgree turning too? i find the 900degree agle the most important of all the other features.

no, the normal one doesnt have 900 degree turning.... and im damn glad it doesnt. :D

Newegg has the DFP for 109+ shipping and the DF for 59+ shipping.

I'd have to ask myself, is a few more degrees of turning rotation and a stick shifter worth $50?

i have no experiences with steering wheels (games) so im going to need some opinions. first of all how many turns to lock to lock is 200 degrees, 240 degrees, 270 degrees, and 900? what are the advantages of have a 270/240 degrees over 900? and how many degrees is the normal driving force?

b1m2x3 said:
dont waste your money on the driving force pro

just get the normal driving force; so what if you dont have that gimmicky shifter (its only up/down anyways)

and the 900 degree turning only really works with gt4.... its a waste IMO

You can use the wheel at its full potential on a pc as well, 900 degrees and all

DFP also works in a mode that's more like a normal wheel (half-rotation each way), but it's better to just use 900 degree mode and figure it out yourself (it isn't hard because you'll rarely have to turn it all that way). Then unplug it and go play some LFS and GTR afterwards :D

what are the advantages of have a 270/240 degrees over 900?

You hit maximum lock faster, which means understeer and you wind up more pissed off than if you'd just used a 900 degree wheel.

Don't get the normal Driving Force. It's the worse Logitech product I've ever used. I had the PC version of the wheel and it was awful. Really I'd rather pay $50 to get a hooker to stomp on my nuts then own another one of those shit wheels.

Get the DFP. I'm sure it's a good wheel, I'm impressed with my logitech momo. Unfortunately as far as I know, the Driving Force and DFP are the only two wheels that work with GT4. I know my Momo didn't :( But since I have my momo I can't justify buying a DFP

Cyclone187 said:
Don't get the normal Driving Force. It's the worse Logitech product I've ever used. I had the PC version of the wheel and it was awful. Really I'd rather pay $50 to get a hooker to stomp on my nuts then own another one of those shit wheels.

Get the DFP. I'm sure it's a good wheel, I'm impressed with my logitech momo. Unfortunately as far as I know, the Driving Force and DFP are the only two wheels that work with GT4. I know my Momo didn't :( But since I have my momo I can't justify buying a DFP
i second that. I can't get my momo wheel to work w/ GT4 :( that was a huge bummer the day i bought GT4. Setup my momo and was ready to go. Fired up an arcade race. Smashed the gas, and went no where :(

I've tried a few different times to get the momo to work, and done a couple of google searches. It looks like only the DF / DFP will work w/ GT4. which is just lame.

NickTheNut said:
i second that. I can't get my momo wheel to work w/ GT4 :( that was a huge bummer the day i bought GT4. Setup my momo and was ready to go. Fired up an arcade race. Smashed the gas, and went no where :(

I've tried a few different times to get the momo to work, and done a couple of google searches. It looks like only the DF / DFP will work w/ GT4. which is just lame.

From what I've heard they actually took support for the Momo wheel OUT of GT4. It's too bad but oh well, I'll still play the game.

wow. so some/most PC steering wheels do work with PS2 gt4 right? then the 900degree DFP might be worth it for 120. nice

ati_azn said:
wow. so some/most PC steering wheels do work with PS2 gt4 right? then the 900degree DFP might be worth it for 120. nice
I actually wouldn't bet on it. The Momo is probably the best steering wheel besides the DFP. There are better, but it's awesome, and has a little brother that's good too. If those don't work (also made by logitech) than I doubt some other one would work.

I'd try and find first hand proof that they do work before buying a non-DF / DFP.

my local bestbuy has all of them. i just checked. the Momo is cheaper but does it have 900degree turning.

ati_azn said:
my local bestbuy has all of them. i just checked. the Momo is cheaper but does it have 900degree turning.
the momo does NOT work w/ GT4.

And actually, minor correction on my part. I'm using the Momo Force. Which... I'm sure is nearly identicle to the non-force momo.

anyways...

Back