Reccomend good tuner card..

jedisme

Limp Gawd
Need some input, going to start copying over some old VHS tapes over to my HD would like some input on a good easy to use tuner card? Input please!:D

Need some input, going to start copying over some old VHS tapes over to my HD would like some input on a good easy to use tuner card? Input please!:D

I only have experience with Hauppauge products. They make a good tuner card. Since you're planning on doing VHS tapes, you can use either composite or coaxial inputs from your VCR to the tuner card or stick.

You'll be choosing between a PCI or PCIE card and a USB tuner. Honestly if you are just trying it out and messing around with stuff you might as well try a relatively inexpensive USB tuner like this or this if you want to go with a simple coax-to-USB tuner.

Or for a bit more you can go for a PCI or PCI-E card. The main benefit here is A) more inputs, like s-video, multiple coax, etc B) some have dual tuners, (like this one) that allow you to encode/record two sources at once, and C) Some feature hardware encoding, (like this one) meaning your CPU doesn't do any work to convert the analog video to a digital file.

SO really you are choosing between cheap/expensive, number of inputs, and whether you want hardware encoding or if you're cool with your CPU doing the work.

Back