• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Rebuilt system HELP!

Isaacav2

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
1,487
My motherboard fried on my last computer so I replaced the motherboard and case with new ones. Right now I have a SATA DVDRW drive and a SATA HDD that has a previous installment of windows in it. I was hoping for a painless motherboard swap, but I realize that I will be forced to reformat the SATA HDD and start over. My problem is when I try to boot off the XP CD, it still loads the previous windows stuff from HDD and wont allow me to reformat and reinstall xp fresh from the C.D. My question is, will I be able to stick my SATA HDD into my friends win98 machine, refromat, then stick the HDD back into my computer then fresh install XP? Or do I have to have a floppy?

thanks.
 
If I'm following you correctly, the problem is not getting the machine booted from the Windows CD. Check boot order in BIOS.

Once you boot from the CD you can format/re-install and XP should recognize your SATA drive just fine - no need for floppy.

As for formatting the SATA in a 98 machine??? Any machine new enough to have SATA connections would probably not have 98 on it... and 98 would not be able to format in NTFS
 
Excavator said:
If I'm following you correctly, the problem is not getting the machine booted from the Windows CD. Check boot order in BIOS.

Once you boot from the CD you can format/re-install and XP should recognize your SATA drive just fine - no need for floppy.

As for formatting the SATA in a 98 machine??? Any machine new enough to have SATA connections would probably not have 98 on it... and 98 would not be able to format in NTFS

I have changed the boot order several times. I had the SATA DVD drive as the first thing to boot, and the SATA HDD as second. I even tried only having the DVD as the first boot device and nothing to boot second.

My problem is the CD won't let me reformat/reinstall, it just continues to load windows and I get an error message because my hardware has changed.

What can I do? Can I put it in my HDD into my friends computer to reformat? He has Win 98 and I know he has SATA ports, I'm not sure if he has an actual SATA harddrive installed though.

Do I need to have a floppy? Can't I just reformat with just the XP disc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 
Hmm, I just re-read your original post and I think the reason you can't boot to the CD is because your using a SATA optical drive.

No SATA drivers untill you boot from the CD because the drivers are ON the CD.
I think you'll need to find an IDE optical drive to be able to boot.

Still no on the floppy.
 
Excavator said:
Hmm, I just re-read your original post and I think the reason you can't boot to the CD is because your using a SATA optical drive.

No SATA drivers untill you boot from the CD because the drivers are ON the CD.
I think you'll need to find an IDE optical drive to be able to boot.

Still no on the floppy.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU X1000

I thaught that could be a problem that is why I stressed SATA soo much, but I just didn't wan't to have any ugly IDE stuff in my new computer. I will go home and install my CDRW drive witch is IDE, and hopefully I will be able to reformat with my XP cd from there.

again tks.
 
Excavator said:
Haha! Let's wait till it boots before you get too happy...

Yea the SATA DVD drive gets detected, it allows me to press the "any" key to boot off disc. Its just that when I do boot off the CD, it loads all the crap from the HDD as well. If I remember correctly, I was given a list of stuff I could do including reformat when I used my CDRW (IDE) drive.

Thanks for the ray of hope. I can't believe I seriously considered the geek squad :(

:p :)
 
sigh***

When I boot the computer it reconizes SATA 0 HDD and SATA 1 DVD...

But.. When I use my IDE CD drive and the full xp CD, it allows me to enter the screen that says "Press ENTER to setup winxp". When I press enter, it brings me a screen that says "Did not find a Hard Disc make sure it is plugged in blah blah blah."

So .. the XP CD dosen't see my SATA HDD? But my Bios does??

I am sooooo fed up and confused. I will edit this for further detail and clairity, I'm just pissed right now.... :confused: :(

***edit***

is a brand new or like brand new out of the box HDD what I need?
 
No, it doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your hard drive.

It does sound like you need to load SATA drivers though. ... with a floppy drive, hehe (oops). Do you still have the driver disk from when you bought your motherboard? There are SATA drivers on it that will fit on a 3.5inch floppy.

Right at the beginning of Windows install, right after it boots to the CD, the bottom of the screen tells you to hit F6 to install special drivers.
Do the F6 thing and the install will ask for the disk later on.


Write back if you need help making a driver disk for the F6 install.
 
Excavator said:
No, it doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your hard drive.

It does sound like you need to load SATA drivers though. ... with a floppy drive, hehe (oops). Do you still have the driver disk from when you bought your motherboard? There are SATA drivers on it that will fit on a 3.5inch floppy.

Right at the beginning of Windows install, right after it boots to the CD, the bottom of the screen tells you to hit F6 to install special drivers.
Do the F6 thing and the install will ask for the disk later on.


Write back if you need help making a driver disk for the F6 install.

Thanks, I found out that I need to use an IDE Disc Drive and I need to use a sigh** floppy drive. I have a 1.44 disc with the SATA drivers on it.

Only question is *** I don't see the little power dongle on my Antec Neopower 480w power supply for the floppy drive. Are there Floppy drives that use the standard 5 pin power dongle? Or do the ones at the store come with some kind of a dongle converter?

I am having the absolute worst luck. At least I know what I need to do now. I just hope that I will have a way to hook up a floppy drive to my power supply without having to buy some kind of converter... make me run to microcenter again for the 5th time...

thanks
 
Bump**

Anyone know if ALL powersupplies have the floppy dongle right in the powersupply? or if there are adaptors available? I didn't see a floppy dongle on my Neopower 480.

Thanks
 
Nobody else going to chip in?

The neopower has connections on the back of it so you can leave off the cables you don't need. Obviously the cable with the floppy connector wasn't needed and got left off.
You need to find the box the PS came in and get the wiring loom that has the floppy connector.

Here is the manufacturers site - http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=24480
 
Excavator said:
Nobody else going to chip in?

The neopower has connections on the back of it so you can leave off the cables you don't need. Obviously the cable with the floppy connector wasn't needed and got left off.
You need to find the box the PS came in and get the wiring loom that has the floppy connector.
Here is the manufacturers site - http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=24480

Thank you for all your help, it really is appreciated. I'm afraid that I already used up the 5 slots for wiring in my power supply, and I am not able to take them off to make room for the floppy wiring loom. The ends seem like once they are in, theyre IN and they cannot be taken back off. All of my hopes are riding on the USB floppy drive. I hope that I can F6 into the usb floppy drive, so that I can install my 3rd party SATA drivers when I boot from my XP C.D.

My usb Mouse works during P.O.S.T so I have high hopes that the USB floppy drive will act identically to an internal one, allowing me to F6 into it. Wish me luck.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.
 
Excavator said:
They clip in, you just have to release the clip to get them out again.

Werd, I tried to pull them out, prolly not hard enough but I tried for like 3 min. I went out to wallys world (Walmart) and picked up a usb floppy drive. Hopefully that is all that I will need, I really don't wan't to order a chord, and wait untill the new chord arrives, then goto microcenter again to buy a new internal floppy.

Wish me luck. I will have an update at 8:00 P.M. central.

Thanks
 
Lesson Learned:

No matter how advanced one thinks we are... we still need a floppy with drivers. :p

THANK you very much for bearing with me. Problem solved :D
 
Back
Top