Rebuilding raid in vista64?

Sky15

2[H]4U
I have a raid 5 set up, but one he'd went dead. I added a new one and now it's rebuilding. How long does it take? Btw, I'm running vista up 64. Is it suppose to take a long time

Also it takes forever to do anything; is this normal

Rebuilding the array can take some time. How many drives in the set and how big? How full are they? While the array is rebuilding the OS is gonna be super slow. I'd leave it alone and check back in a few hours.

It a complete new build. SO nothing on it. It's 2 WD 160gig and a Segate 250gig in Raid 5 along with a 400 Gig WD which isn't raided at all.

WOuld it be smarter to just reinstall vista?

If it's a clean build, I'd say just let it run. It shouldn't take too long. RAID 5 was built for this scenario and IMO, is a good test to see if you can recover successfully from a drive failure. Call this a test run :p

but it seems like its taking forever. 14% in like 3 hours seem right?

Ugh, if that's all its done then I say start over. Also, you sure you want to leave a 250GB drive in there? Lots of wasted space. :(

What about putting the two 160's into RAID 1?

i was thing the same thing.. Problem is I've never set up raid my self, I let my friend do it. How hard is it to set up a raid 1.

Do i just insert the Vista Disk and go from there?

You'd boot into the RAID controller and from there select the two disks you like to use. The controller should do a POST when you boot up your machine. Something like Alt+A or Ctrl+A or something like that should take you into the configuration utility.

At that point you should see both of the disks, the 160's. Select them and create a RAID set, set to RAID 1 or drive mirroring if it says that. It should then configure the disks into the RAID 1 set, and now you boot into Vista. Now you might need to have the drivers for the RAID controller for Vista, you might not. I know my T7400 needed me to download and add the driver via USB device when I rebuilt my workstation at work. YMMV.

If you can see the 160GB disk, Vista should allow you to format it and install the OS.

I forgot to add, since you've already got an array created you'll have to destroy that array first. Then do a create new array.

i think my Mobo just died. It's not posting anything now. The fans run but nothing shows up on my monitor.

If you reboot during a raid rebuild you're toast. You should have been patient and let it run. Time to start over.

Ok, but does it completely kill the motherboard? Now it won't post anything

I put in the disk, but i couldn't get into the raid setup, so i exited out, then it told me missing operating system, and just stayed at the screen, so i manually turned it off. When i restarted it it didn't post; nothing.

Anyone have the phone number for the Geek Squad? If that was my system, I'd start completely over. First, I'd make sure I'd tell my friend he was an idiot for using mismatched drives in a RAID5 array. Then, I'd pull out both 160 GB drives, and simplify. I'd use the 250GB drive for C, and the 400GB drive as D for data storage. A simple Vista reinstall would be easy, quick, and leave you with a fast, stable system.

I got it back up and running from where it was; rebuilding. Is it better just to start over?

How If I take out the two 160gig and and use my 250 for the vista install and the 400gig as my D drive. I mean it's 25% done rebuilding

Also it was my DVI cord that died, and was the reason noting was posted, SO I switched to DVI to HDMI I had.

I meant the part about removing the drives because overall, RAID on a desktop is pretty much worthless. I know some people feel RAID0 is amazing, but the small, if any speed increase isn't worth the increased risk of data loss. If it were me, I'd remove and sell the 160 GB drives, and then take that money to buy a single external drive to use as a backup.

I guess I'll let it rebuild first, and if it is still a problem I'll do what you said. I do have a 250 External HDD BTW.

Back