Rebuilding Raid 1, Hard Drive Size ?

Limp Gawd
One drive has gone bad on my wife's computer. I set it up with 2x 80 gig drives in raid 1. Do I have to use the same drive when rebuilding? Same manufacturer and size? New, large drive are fairly cheap right now, so it seemes like a good time to upgrade. Can I add like a 200 gig drive into the setup and just not use the space now until I get a second drive?

Yes, and it will still be an 80GB RAID-1. You may take a slight performance hit frm running it asymmetricly, but you will probably not notice and if you are running RAID-1 you probably don't care about performance that much.

You will most likely, unless your RAID BIOS is smarter than I give it credit for, have to backup and rebuild the array when you get the second 200GB to make the array 200GB.

DougLite said:
You will most likely, unless your RAID BIOS is smarter than I give it credit for, have to backup and rebuild the array when you get the second 200GB to make the array 200GB.

Seeing as you have to get into pretty expensive controllers most times before online capacity expansion is supported? Yeah, most likely true.

Back