Reboot issue

JeradR

n00b
For the first time last night my new system rebooted while my girlfriend was playing Condemned.

Specs:

3800+ X2 AM2
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with latest BIOS
1GIG XMS2 DDR800 Corsair (5-5-5-12-2T, can this be 1T?)
7900GT eVGA KO 256

After it rebooted I went back in game and didn't have any issues. I ran memtest86 for 5 passes and it went fine with no errors. I checked my temperatures immediately after the reboot and the CPU was at 40C. I then ran Prime95 (185 megs of ram as the amount available, is this enough?) for 8 hours and it returned no errors. Could this possibly be a symptom of an aging power supply? It's about 2-3 years old (possible more, I can't remember exactly when I purchased it). It's an Antec TruePower 550W.

That is a tough problem to diagnose. If you are wondering if it could be the power supply, you could measure the rails with a DMM. If they come out within spec, it is probably fine. I doubt the PSU is the culprit as 3 years of use shouldn't make the PSU go bad.

A restart could be caused by multiple things, the CPU, RAM, motherboard, or some malicious code on your PC. I'd probably start off with a full virus and adware/malware scan, followd by stability testing using memtest86 and prime95. If all of those turn up fine, I wouldn't worry about it.... Unless it happens again....

You should also check your GPU temps under load. ATI tool is goood for this. Load temps shoud stay in the 70 - 80C range. Anything 80C or above and you may have a problem. Also make sure that you have good case airflow and that none of your fans, including the CPU fan, are clogged with dust. Its a fairly new card and probably not the case, but it doesnt hurt to double check.

Like mentioned above I wouldnt worry too much about it unless it happens again.

Same problem here with a brand new $100 Hiper 550W power supply. Pretty sure it is not that.

I have the M2N-SLI Deluxe MB with an AM2 X2 4600+. It is an annoying problem that has happened 4 times in 5 days (although twice yesterday). Evertything I have is brand new and decent to my understanding. I suspect it is the motherboard. I have gone 20 hours since the last time it happened.

There are a bunch of posts about this on the ASUS site related specificly to this Mobo. Right now though - I can't seem to read any of them even though I am logged in. I can click on them and browse the forum, but I can't read the actual posts or replies. I have tried two computers, IE and Firefox. There must be something (also) wrong with their forum. It has always ran like crap though since I have one of their laptops and have used the forum before to trouble shoot. I will post anything I find out here and ask you do the same.

M

I flashed the Bios with a later version and have not had a single problem since.

It was easy to do and I used the ASUSFlash utility that operated through windows to do it. Not floppies or anything else messy.

Back