Reboot and Select proper Boot device error (Weird issue, not typical) please help

smodtactical

Limp Gawd
I have windows 10 installed on a Western digital HDD and wanted to do a fresh install on an SSD. So I connected my SSD and did a new usb win 10 install on it by booting into usb and then selecting the SSD during the install.

So everything worked fine and I was able to use the OS and can confirm it was 100% on the SSD.

However when I set the boot order to make the SSD first and I reboot I get the 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device error '.

So when I put my HDD first again, it boots into windows but then gives me an option to boot into the SSD or HDD... they say volume 2 or volume 4 something like that. I choose the SSD and it goes in and works 100% fine.

Why am I getting that error if the OS Does work by booting into the windows OS selection option?

TL: DR I can boot into my SSD win 10 fresh install, ONLY if I select the HDD first and use the select OS volume option.

When you installed it on the SSD, Windows installed the boot loader portion on the primary hard drive. (In this case the Western Digital hard drive.) If you want to be able to boot directly to the SSD, you will have to make the SSD the primary drive and disconnect the hard drive. Otherwise, you will have to leave the hard drive as the primary drive since that is the boot drive.

Never leave bootable drives hooked up during a Win 10 install.

Try EasyBCD to fix your issue.

Unless EasyBCD has been updated to support Windows 10 and UEFI GPT boot partitions, I would not try that at all.

Ohhh I see my error now. Thank you so much guys I'll try that app, if it doesn't work then ill do a new install and disconnect my hdd during it.

Will report back.

Maybe, but I have also read that if you have a GPT-formatted disk, the EasyBCD no longer gives you a boot menu. If that's true, too bad. I would like to migrate from BIOS to UEFI booting. Any EasyBCD equivalents that work properly with UEFI for dual-booting?

I had a similar issue not long ago and you can use Gparted to set the boot flag to the ssd and remove it from the HDD.

Back