Rebate Horror...

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
So, I've read others' horror stories about how the 4MyRebate rip-off people rebating by claiming missing documents when the entrants know they already include all the necessary items for their submissions...it happened to me this time. I've been filing rebates for years, never ever get denied for missing documents, but this time, I mailed in a $30 rebate for a Thermaltake Level 10 GT Show White case and I got an email earlier today saying it's missing the UPC bar code. Ridiculous! I know I included in it. Now they want me to include it in a resubmission entry. How can I get another UPC bar code when I already included it with the original submission?

I've always thought it would never happen to me, so I never made copies of any of my submissions. But from now on, I will make sure to make copies of any future submission. Just $30, still I just think they have some dishonesty people working there who throw away the UPC code after opening the envelope before submitting it to the supervisor for approval. Or maybe even the supervisor who's doing that. I think the rebate is nothing more than a crook place.

I know some people will blame me for not making a copy of the entry, which is fine. My mistake on that. Lesson learned. Life goes on.

I believe 4MyRebate requests that you affix the UPC to the rebate request form. I worked with a company that processed mail received from customers and with the system they used, it would not surprise me in the least that some of the envelope contents might get lost while opening or sorting envelopes.

I can understand your frustration, since the entire rebate process is a marketing gimmick at best. I generally treat rebates as found money if they do end up paying out. I don't count on receiving them in the first place.

I've always just included it with the rest of other documents in the envelope and had no problem before, so why this time, who knows. I emailed them back saying how would I get another UPC bar code. Probably the email would just go into the abyss and nothing will ever be heard from them concerning this rebate.

I've always just included it with the rest of other documents in the envelope and had no problem before, so why this time, who knows. I emailed them back saying how would I get another UPC bar code. Probably the email would just go into the abyss and nothing will ever be heard from them concerning this rebate.

I believe you need to actually attach the UPC code to the specific location on the printed page where they want you to attach the UPC code. Otherwise they will consider the code missing since it isn't physically attached to the form. This is a somewhat recent additional to the normal hoops people need to jump through for rebates.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have one person open the letters and remove the forms, then they open the forms and pass them along to another person with the specific intent of shaking loose anything that isn't nailed to the form (like an unattached UPC code). Rebate processing companies only make money when they find reasons to deny rebates, so unfortunately it is in their interest to be downright assholes when processing forms.

I am at the point now where I triple check everything on the rebate forms and then take multiple pictures. Everything is taped/glued/stapled into place far more than necessary. Then I send the envelopes with USPS tracking so I can cover my ass when they try to deny a rebate.

Last edited:
Lesson learned.

Funny thing was, I also sent in another rebate for an MSI Z97 GAMING 5 at the same time and exactly the same method and that was approved, but not this one. Of course this one has a bigger amount of rebate, so they have a real money reason to deny this so their pocket will be just a little bit fuller. Which makes them crook, technically.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I had that happen to two of my rebates before and they took the damn mailing address off the envelope too so it would be harder for me to find their shipping info. I glue and tape the UPC(s) to the paper where it says to attach it now and I haven't had an issue.

I took a photo of the UPC next to the serial on the product (a video card), with the shipping insert (since they're all required), and with it taped to the rebate form (for records), then sent all the required documents with the included address taped securely to the label. :D

Processed (and accepted) fairly quickly, still haven't received the rebate, but it's only been about three weeks since it was accepted.

Im getting ready to send one in today for an Asus motherboard. My Mail in rebate form does not have a place to attach it. It just has a box saying its required, and a small sample picture.

I used to go for rebates until I got screwed several times. The bad rebates I've had to deal with fell into three categories:

1) Sending in the rebate voided both the retailer and manufacturer warranty. I had this happen a few times, either of the former rejected the RMA because of "missing items". The same goes with those "free" game vouchers that come with some video cards, which are actually worth $100 or so. If you use the voucher and need to RMA your card for any reason, you have to pay the difference if the card needs to be returned.

2) The rebate never arrived is the second problem. I've sent in bunches of rebates and tracked them to completion to only have them never arrive. Contacting the rebate company is fruitless as they just give you the runaround.

3) The rebate company went defunct is the last one. There was that one rebate company that swindled millions of dollars in rebates and left the people applying for rebates up shit creek. I had like 2-3 rebates through them and they never got processed for this reason.

Rebates are gimmicks.

I've always thought it would never happen to me, so I never made copies of any of my submissions. But from now on, I will make sure to make copies of any future submission...
I don't make paper copies when I send in rebates because a) I'm stingy with my ink and b) don't need more paper clutter. I just scan to PDF so it's available should I need to print a copy down the line.

Now they want me to include it in a resubmission entry. How can I get another UPC bar code when I already included it with the original submission?

that sucks

I think you already contacted them and told them it did have the UPC. After that I would contact the manufacturer and the reseller. Newegg has been known to pay the rebate themselves sometimes.

If the manufacturer doesn't make good on it (or the rebate processing company doesn't) then I would file a complaint with the state attorney general.

I always scan the rebate form with the UPC attached and file it.

I've done a lot of rebates with 4myrebate and never had a problem.

Also, I don't think the rebate processing companies have incentives to deny rebates. I think they get paid an amount for every rebate they process whether it is valid or not. This is just my guess though.

1) Sending in the rebate voided both the retailer and manufacturer warranty.

this is not true

I'm guessing that you meant retailer return policy. If so, that is true. They generally require you to return everything as is (intact box, unredeemed game vouchers). The warranty will not be voided by claiming the rebate

As for 2 and 3, I've done over 80 rebates and got every single one. I had problems with 2 of them but ended up getting those also. And if the rebate processing company goes out of business the manufacturer of the item you bought is still responsible for the rebate.

I've done a lot of rebates with 4myrebate and never had a problem.

Also, I don't think the rebate processing companies have incentives to deny rebates. I think they get paid an amount for every rebate they process whether it is valid or not. This is just my guess though.

When I had direct info on this, rebate companies would bid on processing our rebates. We had to provide sell through figures and they bid based on fulfilling X% of rebates from those sales. So if they determined only 40% of the rebates would get submitted correctly, but then 60% of customers sent in the rebates, they got hosed. Then we could absolutely destroyed when a rebate company closed once while still processing our rebates. Customers would call us directly like "What happened to my rebate?" and we just had to send them the money because we had no data from the processing company on who submitted and who didn't. We process our own rebates now, damn near everyone gets the rebate as long as we can read the address.

This was at a smallish company, very likely it works different for larger companies.

I always scan the rebate form with the UPC attached and file it.

^^This--it never hurts to have a copy, and sometimes it's even useful. ;)
No need to print if you don't want to, as long as you have some kind of copy you won't lose.

It's been another two or three weeks since I filed my rebate, still nothing in the mail. Still within the six-week window though, so I'm hopeful.

Back