Reasons not to torrent OS's

Status
Not open for further replies.

superme1

Limp Gawd
Hey Hardforum

A half-friend got a pirated copy of Windows Vista 64-bit. I want to convince him to just get the real version with an upgrade to Windows 7 later, but I needed some reasons to give him, he's stubborn.

Could a poorly-pirated copy of Vista cause problems in his system, or any disadvantages?

Thanks for helping, although it can be useful, pirating things like this is just bad

Well a pirated copy is the same as a purchased copy, physically. Any problems lie in what possible customizations this illegitimate copy may have. It probably wont cause him any problems, but he should buy it anyway.

There are no reasons why you shouldn't torrent Vista 64. I have it works great, and has been working great for 6 months now. Also when Windows 7 comes out I plan to do the same.

Also pirating helps global warming.

Pirating up global warming down!

There are no reasons why you shouldn't torrent Vista 64. I have it works great, and has been working great for 6 months now. Also when Windows 7 comes out I plan to do the same.

Also pirating helps global warming.

Pirating up global warming down!

QFT!

piratesarecool4.gif

Why not torrent/pirate a commercial OS?

How about maybe because pirating makes you a dirty, degenerate, stanky low-life no-hoper thief, whose morals are so suspect that nobody would ever dare to use you as a baby-sitter?

HUH??????

lol true, i guess >_>

But it can't possibly harm anything except for his digital storage stuff, as in, the OS can't mess up and tell the motherboard to let through extra voltage, or harm hardware (SKYNET O.O)

You can't convince a pirate to buy, it’s that simple. If he wants to steal that's his business. That said he has a pirated copy so if shit happens that's also his business.

the only real problem is that what he downloaded might not be just the OS he wanted. There are a lot of "custom" versions (Vista Black edition or some such for example) that include any sort of value-added software up to and including viruses, backdoors, and keyloggers that the person providing the image feel generous enough to include.

But a bit-for-bit match is exactly the same as what can be bought in the store. In that case there wouldn't be any unforseen issues, other than the ethical issues involved, and possible headaches with MS constantly checking for authenticity of the license,

Windows is too much for me honestly..Vista x64 OEM has been working from the day I downloaded it. And when Windows 7 OEM Preactivated comes out, I'll download it. I said it would be the first Windows I MYSELF buy, and it might still be...but for now...

Here's the thing with Windows piracy. Sure its a big problem for Microsoft but only in the retail market. Microsoft makes is money on Windows on pre-installs which while I'm sure there's piracy going on here not so much as with retail sales buy a good bit I'm sure. So the Windows model is actually somewhat immune to piracy in a why that's truely unique in the software world as Windows is on virutually ALL PCs in retail.

So really Microsoft is never really going to go after individuals much over Windows piracy simply because the money just isn't in retail sales anyway. If this were a problem that affected pre-installed systems then Microsoft would be FAR more draconian its pursuit of pirates in that situation.

Buy it because it is the right thing to do.

But, I believe Balmer is quoted as saying he would rather you pirate Windows then use a competitor's software.

They will never do anything to the end-user who pirates Windows, but companies who do it they will come down hard.

Sorry superme1, people can't seem to remember the rules here:

You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES. Links provided to locations that deal with any such activity are also expressly forbidden.

Where you get your OS is none of our business, but you choosing to use the forum to advertise the fact that you obtained it illegally, and then encourage others to do the same, is our business.

For what it's worth, the risk of someone altering the installation files to include whatever they want should be more than enough reason to only use legit media. MD5's are not perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back