Reasonably great budget projector...

crABtoad

Limp Gawd
I've spent a lot of time lately checking out hardware for my upcoming build, probably too much. Got the parts picked for the rig, decided on Trends Audio and an Essence STX for sound kit.

The part I couldn't figure out was the display.

Checked out a bunch of monitors, checked out a bunch of led tvs, large format displays, stuff... None of it seemed to click really.

Had the idea to get a projector, it takes up the least amount of space and it would look rad next to my tiny little box computer (SG05) and boxes of sound gear.

The best one I've seen so far in the Canadian market and as close to ~$1K as I can manage was the ViewSonic PRO8200 HD.

This seems like an "okay" projector, and seems like it competes for price/performance ratio with anything I've seen available in Canada. (Mostly Newegg.ca, not really sure where else to shop for this kinda thing)

I used to be huge into gaming, not much these days. Mostly just tinker and play the occasional strategy game, go to work, stuff. Even though I'm not huge into gaming I think I would need something with barely noticeable or manageable response lag and 1080p res.

Does anyone have any other options I could check out maybe? Would love some feedback on this and others if possible. :D

Last edited:
Not sure what your budget is but i bought the optoma hd65 couple years ago, couldn't be happier with the thing.

Here's the HD66, updated model. Runs cooler, two hdmi inputs.
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD66-2...=1340219424&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=optoma+hf66

Also the HD20 is down to $840, that one is a bit more high end, native 1080p, the hd66 is native 720, but will do 1080 no problem. As far as lag, I don't think there is any. I'm not 100% sure but the light bulb style projectors have pretty damn good refresh rates. Some lighting control will be needed, but the HD65 was able to do pretty well in my old barracks room, with the window on the right side, 5 feet away. It wasn't any worse thanthe sun glare on a reg flat screen TV. Also what are you using as a screen?

I have this one on my wishlist, reviews seem good.
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens...TF8&coliid=I2O83RKJ7RU76E&colid=1806PY4L59UHK

My friend bought an Acer projector off newegg a few months after mine, pretty good unit, no issues with quality. I would look into them as well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey! Thanks for the reply.

I'll check out those projectors you mentioned. Haven't even considered what to use for a screen, the ViewSonic one comes with one apparently. I'd be happy shining it on my wall if the image quality was good enough.

If you need lens shift, get the Epson 8350.

If you don't need lens shift get the Mitsubishi HC4000.

You know Darkwing, I might just pick up an Optoma HD20 when I can afford it.

I checked around a bunch of manufacturer pages. Found the HD20 without looking for it a couple times.

Looked around here.

And checked out a couple other ranked lists. Looks like a nice little projector and the motion seems great on it for the price. Thanks for the solid recommendation.

@450:

I didn't even know what lens shift was until you mentioned it, thank you. The Epson 8350 looks like a great machine, not sure if it's $200 greater or not. I have to pour a bunch of cash into the rig already, I'll keep it under consideration though. ^_^

I guess my only issue with any of these options is that the technology on them is a couple years old. Not sure what the generational cycle is on projectors though. Are these really the top shelf, low cost options? Seem like it.

Edit:// Another cheap one that seems pretty decent is the Acer H6500. All I'm really looking for is image quality and low cost in this unit and it seems to deliver. I have absolutely no love for Acer, but I'm in the market for a budget projector :)

Last edited:
Room is variable. I'm a very transient person and I want a high quality, large display that's easier to travel with. Projectors are very small in physical form factor and have a large "screen" so it seems like an sensible choice. I'm building a tiny little computer that is competent with games, great for audio, and is built inside a Silverstone SG05 case.

If this is to be your only display, find out how long the bulb lasts and how much the replacement cost is.

Acer H6500 lamp lasts 3500 - 5000 hours, costs ~$165.
Optoma HD20 lamp lasts 3000 - 4000 hours, costs ~$205.

Really starting to lean towards the cheaper Acer projector in this case. If I had a ton of cash I would grab something really top shelf, but these two seem to be the low cost performers.

I wouldn't really worry about bulb life too much. I just assume my projectors will last around 2000-2500 hours. The Epson and the Viewsonic have the least input lag. Make sure you don't get a projector with high input lag. Try avsforums.com for more info.

Acer H6500 lamp lasts 3500 - 5000 hours, costs ~$165.
Optoma HD20 lamp lasts 3000 - 4000 hours, costs ~$205.

Do make sure you have a spare bulb at all times. Better to have two, of course. And yes, I do speak from professional experience. learned the hard way.

The ViewSonic Pro8200 HD was my first pick. So far I'm considering the Acer H6500, Optoma HD20 and the ViewSonic one. I'll check that avsforums site and see what's up. Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone! xD

Edit:// Is there an easy way to find the response time on these? Is it referred to as input lag or response time? :s
From Projector Central:// "Input lag. Gamers rejoice! Our H6500 measured a scant one frame, or 16.67 ms"

Are they actually this slow and is this a "fast" speed for projectors?

Last edited:
Back