Reason(s) to Upgrade Roku 2 XD to the new Roku 3 ?

DiscreteMeat

Limp Gawd
Around the end of January, 2013, I got the Roku 2 XD. The ease of accessing Netflix and Amazon Prime was great and the kids like it a lot. So now there's the Roku 3 and I'm wondering if its worth upgrading. Other than the listening through a pair of headphones that plug into the remote control (which I know we'll never do) and the new interface (which is now on the Roku 2 XD as well) I don't really see how the 3 is any better if not connected via WiFi (we have it wired to a switch off the router).

I did read the following: "When compared to previous models, this one has a much faster processor, 5 times faster. The faster processor allows you to quickly navigate the new and much improved user interface but if 'speed' is not an issue, the new interface will appear on the older models by April, 2013."

Speed an issue? I'm not sure what they're talking about. The streaming works perfectly on the Roku 2 and the navigation of the user interface seems fine, i.e, doesn't appear to be slow at all. So what am I missing by not upgrading to the Roku 3 ?

other than the headphone plug on the remote I see no reason to upgrade our Roku 2 XD, I've been thinking about buying a second one for our bedroom, but I woldnt buy one just to replace the 2.

The Roku 3 is my first Roku product. Not sure how it compares with the older versions, but its is really fast and easy to use. No lag, and the headphone thing is pretty handy when you have one person watching it and another on the computer trying to concentrate on something else. Being able to watch Amazon movies at 1080p is pretty awesome now too.

Back