• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Reason for buying a new case

mystic demon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
185
Today i recieved my sapphire x1900xt and must i say it was the biggest pain in the ass to put in a tsunami dream case. Until now i didnt realize just how cramped it was in that thing and this new graphics card has pushed me to buying a new case that wont be so cramped to work in. What has been your reason for buying a new case has it been my reason, a new computer build, or just some other crazy reason? So lets hear em.
 
the duct tape that was holding the hard drive bay in place was wearing out.
 
I change cases whenever I see something that I feel is better and is within my price range.
 
batmanwcm said:
I change cases whenever I see something that I feel is better and is within my price range.
agreed...

my definition of better is both in functionality and / or looks.
I've taken a weird path in cases

- Antec Sonata -> for looks (black gloss)

then
- Shuttle SN41G2B -> got hooked on SFF cases

then
- Coolermaster Praetorian -> sick of SFF and wanted more expansion

then
- Coolermaster Centurion 532 -> I overbling'd the Praetorian and didn't like so many 80mm fans and liked the breathable front face of the Centurion

then
- Lian-Li G50B -> small is back in.
 
i change cases on a 6 or less month cycle :D


Beige Case
Some Aspire Case
Thermaltake Xaser III (the last TT ill ever own)
Cheiftech Dragon
Aerocool Spiral Galaxy
Antec P180
Shuttle XPC
Aspire X-Qpack
Coming Soon:
Lian Li PC-V300
 
my reason is because I am an addict and have no self restraint. 12 cases in the last 3 years nuff said.
 
to me the alien/robotic looking were never appealing. i like cases that have good functionality. not cause it has some cheap plastic front door that will break in a week. i personally like my aerocool masstige cause it has great airflow, i like flipped atx layout, and i like that the psu is on the bottom. and cause of the 10 5.25in drive bays, it allows for great customization.
 
Yea i myself was gonna go that flashy alien route im glad i didnt or i would be really kicking myself now. I think this time ima go for the break my back carrying the case around route aka the cm stacker. Should be plenty of room to work in without being cramped.
 
old case went through 3 computers... was missing a side.. scratched and just plain ugly.... p180 now... much more sleek... and A LOT more quite (its got all its sides :p )
 
my first case was a VPR Matrix case, got tired of it so i modded that one, when i got tired of that i got some flashy viper looking case, it wasa decent case tell the temp prob always started reading 200+F, and im not into my dream case a Lian Li V1000b, i had been pineing for this case sense it came out, im happy with it today, and ill be happy with it in the years to come
 
Im a case addict, i've gone through 6 cases in five years. Im happy with my P180 until Antec makes something better.

My case modding spree is also over with. Don't feel like wasting the money on it anymore.
 
I buy a new case when I build a new system, roughly every 18 months or so. The old systems all get repurposed down a rung (gaming system, working system, HTPC, MAME cabinets, file server/burner - in that order). Some have kept their cases, some have shed them (both of the MAME cabinets house bare systems) so I've got some empty shells around here, but I've always just bought something new rather than reusing an old case.
 
My main gaming rig is in a Superlanboy and when I get a new conroe rig It will be in either a custom case or the Antec P150 (that I won).

Reason in this situation for changing cases would be getting a completely new build.
 
I love to mod my own cases, but right now I don't feel I am talented enough to really do a case justice and call it my own. I have two in the works (Well, one in the works, the other in planning stages), and until either one of them is done I believe this case will do nicely. I'll be ordering it in a few days. When I feel my modding is good enough, I will migrate back over to my own creations and show them to the world. :)
 
I like to change cases about once a year. So V1000 to CM Stacker to V600(getting this soon, hopefully)
 
Hole Saw Accident :(

Haha, I *had* (see above) the X1 raidmax Chaos_ninja. It was a nice, if you like ones with a door.
 
L1ght said:
I like to change cases about once a year. So V1000 to CM Stacker to V600(getting this soon, hopefully)
ooh. I'd like to see pics of your v600 setup when completed
 
Well, even though I only had my ATC-201B for less than 4 days, I just went ahead and bought another case to replace it.
 
My currect case went through 3 motherboards, 2 CPUs and a LOT of video cards... After modding it, its as good as new
 
first 2 were beige boxes, starting with a 386......then I got a Dell, still boring, not that things were cool back in my early PC days, and then I got my TT XaserIII case. I love that case, but I am sick of the door, and it needs to not have my dual core heat chip in it, so I bought the TT Armor, plus I want to do a bunch of modding to it, while having my PC up and running still.
 
Arcygenical said:
Hole Saw Accident :(

Haha, I *had* (see above) the X1 raidmax Chaos_ninja. It was a nice, if you like ones with a door.

Cool beans, I just ordered mine. :) Where did you try to drill a hole at? In the plexi for the video card? You know, you can take the window out and flip it....its what I'm doing, once I have a fan on my video card it'll be like my dream case.
 
Arcygenical said:
Hole Saw Accident :(

Haha, I *had* (see above) the X1 raidmax Chaos_ninja. It was a nice, if you like ones with a door.
When you say 'hole saw accident', was this the first time you modded your case? Or have you used a holesaw on your case before it's just that this mod happened to not work out as well?
 
Oh and to add relevance to this thread, I've never bought a new case as of yet :D
First case (before I decided not to buy prebuilt anymore) Dell XPS R450, only major upgrade was from a PII 450 to a P4 2.8C, overclocked to 3.5.

Front

Side

Back

These aren't my pics but this is my case model and it's very similar to the looks of my case. (My case is cleaner with less scratches etc.)

Then I recently upgraded to this case for free (friend gave it to me)

Antec SLK3700

Thick Fan grille :|

Side internal

Same processor and mobo combo for this case, P4 2.8c @3.5 with IC7-G. Disappointed that my temps actually increased when I moved to this new case from the dell case so I've cut out the fan grille in the rear while I've got my mobo RMA'ed ATM so we'll see if the temps are overall better or worse than the dell.
 
Last time I upgraded my case was from an old elite or something case that I had done a bunch of mods on to like a Lian Li PC 60 or 61(don't remember the model). I got it because I liked the silver and it is very well designed(tumb screws everywhere and removable mb tray, hd tray etc. Next upgrade would prob be a bigger case or if I decide to water cool my main rig(I'd get a new case to install it in and get setup then transfer parts over). I just picked up a antec SLK2650-BQE for a second machine the other day cause it was like 80 bucks and I needed it asap. I had a 430 emermax ps I was going to use and mod an old gateway case to work but the ps was making noise and I said fuck it knowing I would spend like 50 in town at least for a good ps and for 30 bucks more I could get a new case and be done with it.
 
Finally went with a full ATX motherboard and a 7800GTX.. I need something bigger than a mid-tower. Still looking for the right case.. Need one by this coming week :)
 
Ran out of room in my C3 Acrylic Mid Tower. Upgraded to a Lian-Li PC75B as it has plenty of room and looks slick with the black aluminum.
 
u8myrice said:
I grew up. Flashy "alien" cases aren't too apealing anymore.

I grew up. Flashy "transformers" cases aren't too appealing anymore either. :)
 
Back
Top