Rear Panel Issues... HELP!

football76

Gawd
Ok, I built a small, basic PC for my parents. I used THIS motherboard. So, I finished installing everything and go to boot for the first time... Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Checked all the connections and so forth, still nothing. Then I unplugged everything from the back panel and tried powering on, success! Plugged the USB KB/M and VGA monitor in... Monitor works as normal, but the USB ports aren't even getting power (tested them, not a single volt), nor are the PS/2 ports. However, the front case panel USB ports work without any problems. I thought this was a chipset driver problem, but after installing the latest, still nothing. And yes, I've enabled everything in the BIOS. So, I dismantled the PC and ran it outside the case to see if there could be a short somewhere, nope still nothin. I decided to RMA the board and head over to MC to pick up a replacement. Picked up THIS and reinstalled all the other hardware. Same exact problem!!! What gives? This has to be a software issue right? What else can I do? I'm not an expert with windows BTW, but I am competent. The PC is running Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1.

Sorry for the long post, but I am absolutely stumped on this one. I really appreciate your help guys! :)

Any jumpers on the board about making the PS/2 or USB the main device for keyboards/mice? I had an old Biostar mobo that had a jumper for that (PS/2 wouldn't work if you set it on USB).

Check the motherboard manual for any jumper locations and what those settings should be.. Odd thing is, most motherboards come with those jumpers pre-set for standard mouse/keyboard usage..

Another option would be to try a different power supply.. There may be something going on there that could cause certain components to not function properly..

Gigabyte MBs don't have a jumper, but there is a BIOS setting for USB keyboard/mouse. I've never played with it but see if that turns off PS/2.

I've messed with the BIOS, but nothing works- no USB, no PS/2. Also, I discovered today that if the PC is left off for more than a couple hours it will not even respond to the power button (like it's unplugged) unless I unplug the VGA cable. As soon as I unplug the VGA cable and hit the power button, it starts right up. Both motherboards have these exact same symptoms. Could my luck just be that bad? I'm going to try removing all the components from the case again and test if there is a short again...

If there was a short, would it have killed the mobo? or is it still ok?

UPDATE:

Pulled everything out of the case and plugged in my PS/2 KB/M and USB flash drive and powered up without the VGA cable plugged in. No problems! until i plug the VGA cable back in, the the rear ports immediately go dead (flash drive light goes off, optical mouse is dead). So, there is something up with my monitor/VGA connection... Any ideas?

Could be some kind of short between the connectors or something moves, breaking a ground connection? Check those carefully with the MB out of the case and the port shield thingy (the flimsy aluminum cover around the ports) removed.

I did notice recently that if I unplugged my KB while the machine was on, the video would blank! This while experimenting with swapping a PS/2 KB and a USB KB (actually a USB-PS/2 converter on a KB).

Back