Realtime remote control of PC with laptop

zeroARMY

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a high-end desktop computer connected to a HDTV at 1920x1080p60. I want to be to launch and control playback of HD movies with a shitty old laptop over the network. I tried the built-in Remote Desktop but it logs the desktop computer out when I log into it with the laptop. The desktop computer presents the Windows login page instead of a mirror image of what I'm doing on the laptop. Then there's also the problem that the laptop can't handle any HD video. The video would have to be shown on the desktop only, but I still want play/pause/seek etc. control in MPC and PowerDVD on the laptop.

Or maybe simply have the laptops keyboard and mouse be the controls for the desktop. I don't need video on the laptop, just a way to control the desktop from far away (it's too far a distance for a wireless keyboard and mouse or extension cables).

Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks

Last edited:
Hmm...If I am understanding this correctly, you are looking for a way to stream the content over a network. Well, if that is what you are looking to do, check out the Hava: http://www.myhava.com/product_hava_wireless_hd.html

This device is a Wireless device that:

provides a premium home theater experience allowing you to watch and control HD digital cable, satellite, or DVR/PVR programs wirelessly on WiFi enabled PC or mobile phone. It eliminates the need for unsightly cables and makes the setup a breeze. Stream DVD-quality video wirelessly from the TV source to multiple PCs simultaneously. Enjoy seamless integration with Windows Vista or Windows XP MCE PCs. Connect up to 4 PCs, and watch, pause, rewind, fast forward, and record your live TV programs on your PC.

If you are looking for something else, my apologies

No, it sounds like he just wants to remote control the one PC with the laptop.

You might try playing around with logmein or VNC.

Ahh, okay - Synergy is excellent. It somtimes lags for me, though - maybe its just my PCs doing it to me

Back