Realtek or Windows 7 default

gkg101

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
422
Based on the sage buying advice given here on this forum, I am now up and running with the system listed below. Should I stick with default Win 7 sound driver, or should I / can I safely install the Realtek driver over the default driver?
 
install the one that came on the CD, then let windows 7 update it as necessary.
 
No use this one its stable

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Realtek-HD-Audio-2.35-Driver-download-2408.html

Windows 7 got a bug when playing 2.1 audio with the other drivers
Use a driver sweeper to clean out the old one

I never installed the Realtek sound driver, I'm still using the default Windows sound. Did you mean a driver sweeper to use on earlier Realtek version or did you mean using a sweeper to clean up Windows driver ?
EDIT, in other words, do I need to uninstall the Windows drivers before upgrading to Realtek?
EDIT, I just found device manager (very very new to Win 7), and it seems the default drivers are not meant to be uninstalled, so I guess the simple thing is to just install the RealTek
 
Last edited:
I'm interested in the outcome of this discussion. I built a new rig (see below) and have been having sound problems. Crackling, stuttering/hitching in games. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no change. Another odd problem is that I have it set in 4-speaker surround and all of a sudden there is no sound from the back-left speaker, where there was just two days ago.

I'm going to try the download from Realtek and hopefully that helps.
 
I'm interested in the outcome of this discussion. I built a new rig (see below) and have been having sound problems. Crackling, stuttering/hitching in games. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no change. Another odd problem is that I have it set in 4-speaker surround and all of a sudden there is no sound from the back-left speaker, where there was just two days ago.

I'm going to try the download from Realtek and hopefully that helps.
KV files with DTS-MA audio give audio stutters/pops/crackles during playback
This is a known problem with Haali Media Splitter. It is related to the way the file was created.
The solution is to use a different source filter for .mkv files. The Gabest or Solveig splitter should work.
 
Back
Top