Realtek Onboard sound: Buzzing Noise?

matt00926

Gawd
I recently just built a system based on Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128342).

This board uses the Realtek ALC888 for the onboard sound. The problem I'm having is that no matter what driver I install, whether it's from the motherboard cd, motherboard website, or realtek site, as soon as I install the driver I am getting a constant static/buzzing sound regardless of whether I plug my headphones into the back or front panel audio connection.

The headphones I'm using work perfectly in my laptop and mp3 player. I'm using windows xp sp3 on a fresh format, and actual sound DOES come out without giving any errors, yet there is still a consistent buzzing/interference sound, which only gets worse when I move my mouse around. I've triple checked the cord which connects from the front panel to the mobo, and the back panel has the same problem anyway. I do not have any speakers to test with, nor do I have another pair of headphones.

I had the same occasional problem while using my Asus P5 mobo's onboard audio. It drove me nuts.

I've read many people have this problem..some even suggest the type of power supply you have is the culprit..I have an Antec Earthwatts 500w which was included in my Antec Sonata III case. I'd use my Audigy 2zs but my headphones aren't long enough to reach my ears then because I need the front-panel audio connection. :p

I have the same problem on my laptop, it seems to be a power problem because when i unplug the ac power it goes away.

This is real weird..I just plugged in my audigy 2zs and disabled the realtek onboard..getting the same buzzing/static noise! I'm thinking my computer either hates my headphones or something really is interfering :wtf:

I get buzzing from my front audio port and I have an asus a8ne with onboard Realtek audio (I think its AC'97)...Funny thing is it gets worse when I plug in a USB device in the adjacent USB port...

I haven't figured this out myself, but I am thinking it could be the impedence of the headphones...I noticed more buzzing from brand "x" than brand "y".

I'm running an Antec 430W PSU...Trupower I think.

I moved away from onboard sound for this very reason.

Having a card with a bit of shielding has helped immensely, as there's enough RFI in my case, I'm sure, to be the culprit of this buzzing you speak of.

I moved away from onboard sound for this very reason.

Having a card with a bit of shielding has helped immensely, as there's enough RFI in my case, I'm sure, to be the culprit of this buzzing you speak of.

Yeah switching to my audigy 2zs helped, still occasionally a buzz I am going to acquire a surge protector to ensure that my equipment is grounded and see if that helps.

I've heard that using ferrite core shields on the cable will help reduce the buzzing sound you can get from GSM interference. The same concept should apply here, I'd think. They come on some USB cables packed with devices.

I get rid of buzzing by installing a ground loop isolator between the PC and amp but if you are connecting your headphones directly to the soundcard then I guess you can't do that. Using digital out on soundcard to an external receiver with digital in will get rid of it too. Optical digital supposedly works better than coaxial for this purpose but for me both have worked equally well. Analog connections from PC quite often have RF noise issues, especially mb sound solutions. I saw an internal PC soundcard recently that was completely enclosed with shielding for this reason. Think it was made by Asus but not sure. I've tried those ferrite cores before and it did squat to reduce noise issues for me. One last solution is to buy external soundcard like EMU 0202 or 0404. I have 0404 and it had no noise issues using USB connection or digital. It has a ground plane lifter switch just in case you do run into a ground noise problem though.

I'm sure he has been waiting 5 months for that answer.
Thanks for sharing but I had to back 41 pages to find a post that old.

Last edited:
Back