Realtek HD Audio cuts out in Win 7 x64?

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Morning all,

Right ive struggled with this for a few weeks so i thought i'd let the hive mind have a go.

Basically my Gigabyte motherboard uses the Realtek HD Audio AL889A codec. Ive recently installed Win 7 x64, been to the GB website and downloaded the correct drivers. Everything runs fine but i have a sound problem.

My comp is hooked up to Sony AV receiver 5.1 setup via Optical cable. In the Realtek software i have enabled Dolby Digital Live 5.1 to take advantage of it.

The problem is this, every so often (every minute or so but gaps can be longer or shorter) the sound cuts off for a second when playing anything with sound i.e games, web videos, mp3's. This happens randomly and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. When the sound cuts out the AV receiver seems to loose the signal i.e it clicks from being in Dolby to nothing then back again like its being lost at the source.

Ive tried various drivers from the actual Realtek website and Gigabyte (there have been numerous revisions over the past 2 weeks) and the problem persists.

The AV receiver is working fine as i have various other devices working with it (360, DVD, Sky, etc). Also the optical port on the mobo and Realtek chip itself are working correctly because i have been using it when switching between an install of Win XP (on separate partition on HD) and Win 7 and in XP there is no problem.

It seems like a driver problem but i was just wondering if anyone had any pearls of wisdom? Or do i just need to wait for Gigabyte/Realtek to sort it out...

Cheers, Buz.

Have you tried giving drivers directly from Realtek a shot? I have found most of the sets provided by the MB manufacturers are out of date with the ones available from Realtek. It is possible they may resolve the issue, worth a shot at checking the release note anyway.

Cheers for the feedback, yeah as i mention above ive tried all the latest drivers from Gigabyte and Realtek (Giga's latest were released 29-12-2009, Realtek version R2.40 came out 30-12-2009) and both still have the same sound glitch. Very frustrating.

Back