Realtek Gigabit LAN Controller keeps disconnecting on bootup/windows login

georgec

n00b
Hi guys, I've recently purchased a ASUS F1A55-M LX PLUS FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with a Realtek 8111E gigabit controller and it keeps disconnecting whenever I log into Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

I've updated the latest drivers on this device from the Asus site and turned off 'Allow this device to wake the computer' from the adapter's advanced options, but it still gets disconnected by default when I log in via Windows. I've even made sure to test when the settings are saved and the pc is shut down (pulled the plug) and repeatedly push the on button to drain the residual battery; and the adapter continues to log off by default when Windows boots up. I've googled about the Realtek Gigabit LAN controllers and it's a common issue throughout other motherboards.

The only solution I have is to go the adapter in Device Manager everytime after bootup and Disable it, and then Enable it again to get internet connectivity, which is tedious and frustrating.

If anyone can provide any insight or solutions to this, I'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Realtek NIC's are pretty much garbage. I'd get an Intel Pro NIC and slap it in a PCIe slot.

Even if intel nics are the preferred choice qualitywise the realtek nics should perform good enough (at least for the past 2-3 years or so).

Its common that a nic will disconnect 2-3 times during reboot however once you have the loginprompt in windows it should not flap any more.

Stuff to verify:

1) Do you use proper drivers (verify first the homepage of those who did that motherboard, sometimes the builtin nics are oem version who needs their own drivers).

2) As addition check realteks homepage for latest drivers (hopefully your nic isnt an oem edition).

3) Make sure to select proper drivers regarding 32bit vs 64bit.

4) If still problem try to replace cable or replace the device in the other end of the cable (just as debugging).

Could be a faulty cable or faulty connector.

I have experienced connectivity issues due to a sand grain in the RJ45 connector of a cable (it was stuck so the copper pin didnt connect properly within the nic once the cable was plugged in which resulted in flaping).

Another case I have experience was when one of the copper pins within the RJ45 (female) of a cisco switch was just slightly bent at another level than the other 7 pins - this resulted also in flaping of the line from time to time. The fix in this case was to take a needle and macgyver-style bend it back so all the pins were leveled :)

Apachez: Thanks, the drivers from Asus and Realtek are up to date. The cable is fine as well as I tried with my HP mini via Lan internet connectivity and it had no issues. I was wondering if it's maybe a certain settings issue in the adapter settings that I'm missing.

When I uncheck 'Allow this device to wake the computer' from the adapter's' and reboot it'll work fine, but if I leave it shutdown for 30-40mins or if the power plug is removed in that time frame, it'll resolve back to unconnectivity when booted back into Windows 7 64.

epimetheus: Agreed, but most of the AMD F1 fusion boards use Realtek so not much the consumer can do about that.

Seems the cultprit was Bonjour adding a default gateway of 0.0.0.0 on startup, Disabling Bonjour as a startup service fixed it. Thanks.

Realtek = your issue

Get a $29.99 Intel CT Desktop Gig card. Comes in both PCI 32bit and PCI-e 64 bit varieties.

I do like the Intel GbE Desktop adapters; some boards don't have enough slots. I do see the Realtek NICs taking about 30 seconds to connect to the network after resuming from sleep or logging in.

Back