Really wierd connection issue

Crash250f

Gawd
I believe I've gone through my entire possible solutions checklist, and nothings worked, so I'm going to need some help on this one.

I believe this all started when I got a hard lockup yesterday while playing league of legends, though I started noticing the symptoms about 15 minutes later. I had my comp running what I would consider a very conservative overclock, with my fsb at 1550 (3.1ghz cpu) and I think I still had 1.4v on the vcore (cpu fsb voltage in my settings). I'm new to overclocking but I believe I ran prime95 at those settings for quite awhile to check for stability and it passed, though I had been locking up maybe once a week which was more than usual. I'm personally blaming the OC atm, and I'm not sure if I'll ever bother again at this point. Anyways...

Here's what I can do: I can browse the internet, post this message, talk to friends on mumble, play a solo queue game of league of legends.

Here's what I can't do: I can't update windows, log in with msn messenger, or connect to pvp.net in league of legends (can't talk to friends and can't get an invite to play with friends, which is all I'm currently doing for video games atm, so it sucks).

When I try to log in to msn messenger, it tries connecting for about 30 seconds before giving me the message "Sorry, there was a problem signing you in."

When I try to update windows, it says almost instantly, "An error occured while checking for new updates for your computer." and the error code is 80072F8F.

When I try reconnecting to pvp.net, it flashes the buttons down bottom that appear when you are logged in, but really quickly, along with the "you have been disconnected message" but within about 2 seconds I'm back at the "Unable to connect to pvp.net" window.

Here's what I've tried: I've tried connecting to the internet directly through my modem, I've changed to a different port on the back of my comp (from my intel NIC to one on my 780i), I've flashed to new bios, and yes...I've reformatted and reinstalled windows. When my system was back up and I started league of legends only to see that error message still there...it fricken sucked. I've done more than that but those are the major steps I've taken and I can't quite remember what else I've done after 4 hours of dealing with it this morning. Any help would be great.

If you think it is the over clock why did you not try it with out the over clock?

I'm personally blaming the OC atm,

seems like a 'durrrr' suggestion- but i dont see, under "what you tried", it listed you reverting to stock settings. you said you were new to overclocking so il give you this piece of advice and you will be responsible for remembering it from now on-

when things dont work after you overclock, change the settings back. this will at least tell you if the OC was causing it or not.

Wow, I can't believe that worked. I did google it after I reinstalled windows, which is when I figured out that windows update wasn't working, but I would never have guessed that it would have been the cause of the problem, especially on a new windows install, and with it affecting things like pvp.net. I dismissed it as just another symptom of the problem.

Just out of curiosity, does syncronizing set a clock outside of windows, like built into my motherboard or something. Is there like a unix time counter somewhere on my hardware that it set? That's the only justification I have for a complete reinstall not having fixed it.

I swear whenever I finally post a problem on these forums, it always ends up having the simplest solution, but I probably would have never followed those instructions myself, so I guess I traded feeling like an idiot for a quick fix. Thanks alot for the help.

The complete reinstall wouldn't have fixed it. Clock info is kept alive by the bios/cmos.
It happens though - even to one of our work laptops yesterday.

Clock just went nuts, and so did the employee using it due to their inability to use msn :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm glad it worked. :D

Oh, and ya, ghost, right after those problems started I reset bios, killing the OC. Forgot to mention that because I did it yesterday. I think the reason I didn't revert back earlier was that the crashes were so infrequent, roughly once a week, and prime95 did pass a decently long test. If I ever do OC again, it will be after I'm fully aware of how the hardware works, and I'll be much more careful/thorough. Thanks for the advice.

Back