Really weird gigabit throughput..

Skud

Gawd
I have this really weird throughput issue between two systems. Here are the specs:

Source (Workstation):
Q9300
Raptor 74GB
Seagate 7200.10 250GB
WD 640GB
8GB RAM
Asus P5E w/ Marvell "Yukon" GbE
Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 beta

Desintation (Server):
Dual Opteron 275
6GB RAM
Iwill DK88 w/Broadcom GbE
5 x 500GB WD RE2 in RAID5 on a PERC5 sas with BBU
Server 2003 Std. x64

When I "send" a file from the various drives on the workstation to the server Vista reports the following throughput

Seagate 250GB
============
55 - 62MB/s and task manager shows a link utilization of 100%.

WD 640GB
=========
75 - 80MB/s and task manager shows a link utilization of 100%.

WD 74GB Raptor
=============
63 - 67MB/s and task manager shows a link utilization of 100%.

On the server, during the same transfer, it shows the same throughput but only 50% or so utilization. This would seem to be the correct.

Looks like Vista is reporting the throughput as 100% no matter what. This happen to anyone else? 100% utilization should only happen around 120MB/s on a gigabit link correct?

Thanks!!
Riley

Vista has had a bug in the networking throughput display since beta -- in some cases, it shows double the throughput, which is capped at 100%. This might have something to do with specific device/driver interactions, as it doesn't always happen. It shows up both in the Task Manager / Networking and PerfMon, and so may also be reported by various third-party utilities which monitor and display throughput at the network level.

Vista has had a bug in the networking throughput display since beta -- in some cases, it shows double the throughput, which is capped at 100%. This might have something to do with specific device/driver interactions, as it doesn't always happen. It shows up both in the Task Manager / Networking and PerfMon, and so may also be reported by various third-party utilities which monitor and display throughput at the network level.

Didn't that problem get fixed in service pack 1? I believe it was addressed, at least for the 64bit versions.

Well, for starters, make sure you have your latest network drivers and enable jumbo frames if your equipment supports them.

Back