Really weird folder issue in XP

IcarusSC

Gawd
I live in China and work in a school that has essentially no network administrator and no network security policy. As you can imagine, we get a lot of viruses. I'm basically a clueless self-taught noob myself, but I do what I can to make sure that my personal computer remains clean as a whistle. And I'm generally successful.

A friend of mine here had her flash drive eaten by a nasty ol' virus and brought it to me to see if I could do anything with it. I cleaned the virii off of it, but was unable to recover her data. Then I realized (long story) that her data was actually still there. I just couldn't see the folder it was in.

Here's the deal -- if I look at the flash drive in an Explorer window, there's apparently no folder there. If I type the address of the folder into the address bar directly (eg F:\Nursing\) it pops right up, no problem. If I view the drive in WinRAR, I can see the folder. If I view the drive in an internet browser, I can see the folder.

I have "Show Hidden Files and Folders" turned on ... I've run the virus scan multiple times, and it's clean ... so what the heck is making that folder invisible?!

If this is the wrong place for this, forgive me / move me / ban me. I've Googled this problem twelve ways to Sunday and come up with nothing, maybe because this is a Chinese virus or maybe because I'm too clueless. But I've been reading the [H] for years and years and am a proud folder on Team 33, so I feel comfortable here ... even if I've never posted before.:D

Thanks!

can you run a chkdsk on the flash drive?
maybe something borked up the file table

Sorry, I should have mentioned -- I already did. Chkdsk came back clean, but the problem still exists.

yes this is the wrong place for it :D

Are you sure that all the virus are already gone? what did you use to clean that usb drive?

well you can try checking this thread for more info
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1426658
use the tools mentioned in that thread and see if that helps

Since you can get to the needed files .. grab em and put them someplace safe, then do a thourough formatt on the device. This should clean up any FS damage that may have occured.

I used AVG Free 8.5, whatever the current version of Avira is, and MS Security Essentials (not all at the same time!). I figure that should be enough to catch the evil little bugs.

The tools in the thread you mentioned appear to be rather specific (targeting rootkits, etc). I don't think I'm actually still dealing with a virus, just the results of one. I can do as MrGoat suggested, but since this is the fourth time I've seen this problem pop up, I'd really like to know if there's a way to fix the darn thing without having to do that.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I have the feeling that your PC isn't completely clean yet

those are just Antivirus, and yes they will detect some spyware but not all!!
that's why you have to use some other tools, like MalbareBytes, Combofix, Microsofts Malicious Software Removal Tool, and maybe some other,

read that thread, for more specific details!!

nothing like a good shotgun approach when dealing with malware :D

BTW, have you disabled autoplay in XP?

The files might have had the system attribute turned on. To see them in explorer you'll need to go to the folder options in the control panel and turn off the option "Hide protected operating system files." You can also see them in a command prompt by change to the flash drive and typing "dir /a" without the quotes. You will see all files/directories, even hidden and system ones.

If the system attribute is set, you'll have to remove it using the command prompt. Find the name of the directory/file that you can't see in and in a command prompt type "attrib <file/dir name>" to see what attributes are turned on. A = archive, H = hidden, R = read only, S = system. If the system attribute is set, type "attrib -s <file/dir name>".

Jimnms, you are the man! Awesome!! Your guess was correct -- the folders were set as protected system folders, and your workaround fixed 'em. Thanks a bunch. This weird problem has been bugging me for two years :)

I read the thread you mentioned, Leslie, before I posted here, and I looked into some of the tools there. I'm definitely not an expert, but several of them look a bit too powerful for what I'm dealing with. The computer actually has no problems right now; I think that the virus just flipped a few switches in my file properties.

And yes, Autoplay is disabled. What would the problem be with autoplay?

I read the thread you mentioned, Leslie, before I posted here, and I looked into some of the tools there. I'm definitely not an expert, but several of them look a bit too powerful for what I'm dealing with. The computer actually has no problems right now; I think that the virus just flipped a few switches in my file properties.

And yes, Autoplay is disabled. What would the problem be with autoplay?

bit too powerful? i don't think so. You just can't be sure your PC is totally clean just by scanning with only those AVs

autoplay = trojan autoinstaller :D (that's why it is disabled in Win7)

OK, I'll run 'em. There was just a big flashing warning next to the Combofix download that scared me off. But if I can't damage my system by running it, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help!

OK, I'll run 'em. There was just a big flashing warning next to the Combofix download that scared me off. But if I can't damage my system by running it, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help!

remember to run those apps in Safe Mode

Back