• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Really Strange Problem

The Donut

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 28, 2003
Messages
3,122
Hey,

After days of phone support via my ISP, I decided to post here, just incase someone had any ideas.

Here's the problem, I have a DSL connection, it's 4mbit and works wonders. However, when I drop connection, which has happened twice in the past 3 days, once I manage to reconnect certain sites do not work, (specifically google, gmail, googletalk, msn, msn messenger and hotmail) any MSN or Google Services, other sites are likely however these are ones in particular - where as other sites and services work just fine.

Funny thing is, 2-4 hours later they resume working. Without me changing anything, they just.. work. I have done traceroutes for my provider whilst I was unable to access the specific sites to which I have shared in this post.

Here is what I have tried:

- With & Without Router
- Multiple Machines, 2 Desktops, 1 Laptop,
- Safemode w/networking on 2 different machines
- All machines are spyware/malware/virus free.
- No firewalls present, software nor hardware.
- Unplugged all phones in the house, and just connected DSL.

At this point, my ISP are "looking into it" and I have no clue myself. Anyone with any ideas, please throw them my way, as it's very inconvenient to lose access to Google and the like, when my job entails using such services.

Trace Route Results:

TRACE TO GOOGLE USING ROUTER
============================
Tracing route to 216.239.37.99 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 12 ms * 11 ms 64.235.192.29
3 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 64.235.194.249
4 13 ms 108 ms 12 ms ia-cnnu-gw01-ge3-4.vtl.net [216.113.13.149]
5 13 ms 11 ms 16 ms ia-cnnu-bb02-ge10-0.vtl.net [207.253.253.158]
6 32 ms 32 ms 35 ms so-2-0-0-0.gar3.Washington1.Level3.net [4.79.192
.1]
7 33 ms 34 ms 33 ms ae-11-51.car1.Washington1.Level3.net [4.68.121.1
8]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.


TRACE TO GOOGLE WITHOUT ROUTER
==============================

Tracing route to 216.239.37.99 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 13 ms 21 ms 18 ms 64.235.192.29
2 15 ms 18 ms 19 ms 64.235.194.249
3 14 ms 14 ms 11 ms ia-cnnu-gw01-ge3-4.vtl.net [216.113.13.149]
4 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms ia-cnnu-bb02-ge10-0.vtl.net [207.253.253.158]
5 32 ms 33 ms 34 ms so-2-0-0-0.gar3.Washington1.Level3.net [4.79.192
.1]
6 32 ms 32 ms 35 ms ae-21-52.car1.Washington1.Level3.net [4.68.121.5
0]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * *



TRACE TO MSN.COM WITHOUT ROUTER
===============================

Tracing route to msn.com [207.68.172.246]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 13 ms 15 ms 11 ms 64.235.192.29
2 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 64.235.194.249
3 14 ms 14 ms 12 ms 4/2.Gig-E.GW2.MTL1.ALTER.NET [157.130.156.73]
4 13 ms 12 ms 13 ms so-0-1-0.XL1.MTL1.ALTER.NET [152.63.128.242]
5 93 ms 94 ms 93 ms 0.so-7-0-0.XL1.PAO1.ALTER.NET [152.63.54.133]
6 92 ms 95 ms 93 ms 0.so-6-0-0.GW12.PAO1.ALTER.NET [152.63.49.249]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
 
I noticed you haven't made any changes to your DNS in your list.
Try setting new DNS servers in your config on the router.
 
typhoon43 said:
I noticed you haven't made any changes to your DNS in your list.
Try setting new DNS servers in your config on the router.
I agree. Make sure you're not pointing at the wrong addresses because of DNS poisoning.

The Donut said:
At this point, my ISP are "looking into it"
Pet Peeve: This is what I can't stand about this generation...your grammar sucks.

"My ISP *IS* looking into it." That's what it should be.
 
I don't have any other DNS servers to try? The ones used are automatically assigned to me.

And, as for the grammar, I personally am not of "this generation", however I was in a rush when typing that. Excuse the error, but I didn't ask to have my grammar checked. :p
 
DNS servers are all over the place. I have a problem with my ISP and/or the
modem they provide. Reverse dns lookups would fail causing various tasks
to hang. I bypassed the router by stuffing the DNS server addresses directly
into my machine configurations. I am using 216.97.160.5 & .5, which are the
servers the router was supposed to route the requests to.

Tom in Tulsa
 
How can you not have DNS servers to try? You can MANUALLY edit 99.9% of any SOHO router out there. Get into the web interface and set the DNS to some of these Level 3 servers. If that works and you can tracert google (and tracert -d), then we'll work on finding you some Public DNS servers closer to your home.

Level 3 Root DNS servers
4.2.2.1
4.2.2.2
4.2.2.3
4.2.2.4
4.2.2.5
4.2.2.6
 
typhoon43 said:
How can you not have DNS servers to try? You can MANUALLY edit 99.9% of any SOHO router out there. Get into the web interface and set the DNS to some of these Level 3 servers. If that works and you can tracert google (and tracert -d), then we'll work on finding you some Public DNS servers closer to your home.

Level 3 Root DNS servers
4.2.2.1
4.2.2.2
4.2.2.3
4.2.2.4
4.2.2.5
4.2.2.6
Amen to that brother. Also sometimes it takes a DNS server a few seconds to find what you're looking for. Thus if your query times out you can submit it again and get a response.
 
Sorry about being absent - I do appreciate the help, and unfortunately require more of it!

I added the Level3 DNS servers to my router and reconnected, and I got this:

C:\Documents and Settings\The Donut>tracert google.ca

Tracing route to google.ca [216.239.39.104]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 15 ms 12 ms * 64.235.192.29
3 14 ms 16 ms 13 ms 64.235.194.249
4 12 ms 12 ms 13 ms ia-cnnu-gw01-ge3-4.vtl.net [216.113.13.149]
5 12 ms 13 ms 12 ms ia-cnnu-bb02-ge10-0.vtl.net [207.253.253.158]
6 32 ms 33 ms 32 ms so-2-0-0-0.gar3.Washington1.Level3.net [4.79.192
.1]
7 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms ae-12-51.car2.Washington1.Level3.net [4.68.121.1
9]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.

Now, I have to stress - this problem occurs 2-3 times a day, the other time of day it works fine and I can access google, msn etc.. but when this happens for a period anywhere from 30minutes to 3 hours I am unable to access Google, or any Google services, or MSN / MSN Services. Also note, it's just not me - when it happens, everyone on the network has the same issue. This problem also occurs when the router is taken out of the equation and the modem being plugged directly into my machine.

Still, clueless..
 
Back
Top