Really strange problem after virus clean up.

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
One of my users had a trojan virus yesterday. Thanks to several scans with Malwarebytes we were able to clean it off. However, her IE is unable to connect to the internet (or so I thought). The PC is running XP Pro SP3, with IE8.

Upon troubleshooting, we realized she is able to connect to the internet when she is connected to our VPN, but not when she drops off. I've never seen this before. Outlook works perfectly fine, so it is only affecting her browser. I tried the WinSock Fix, which didn't solve the issue. Another scan of Malwarebytes shows the system to be clean. I'm kind of at a loss here, as to why IE will connect just fine when she's on the VPN, but not when she drops off. Our Outlook config uses the webmail page as a backend, so her Outlook works on or off the VPN. Her IM app and iTunes also will connect just fine on or off the VPN. Any suggestions? If more info is needed, let me know.

Clearing cookies, internet files, cache, and reinstalling IE fixed it for me.

Does it happen in Firefox?

Just curious, what Trojan was it?

I'll have to try and get a look at Malwarebyte's to find out what Trojan it was. We cleaned out the temp files and cookies, checked the host file, and also upgraded her to IE8 (she had IE7 at the time). I haven't tried Firefox yet, since IE is a requirement for her daily job. Many of the sites she needs to access don't play nice with Firefox (custom Sharepoint sites, etc).

I should probably add, that we do not use a proxy server, so that wouldn't be the explanation as to why IE only works when connected to the VPN.

A couple of days ago my IE stopped working. FF would work ok. After checking the connection tab I found the use a proxy server for lan box checked. After unchecking this box IE started working again. As far as I know I didn't check this box myself before.

A couple of days ago my IE stopped working. FF would work ok. After checking the connection tab I found the use a proxy server for lan box checked. After unchecking this box IE started working again. As far as I know I didn't check this box myself before.

Right, some virus's will check this box. Makes it a chore to figure out whats going on with IE if you have never had to do that before.

I'll have to check that once I get a hold of her today. It seems odd to me that it would work on the VPN, if that box was checked, but stranger things have happened. It is acting just like a normal laptop would with a corproate proxy, however, so it is worth a shot.

Back