Really starting to think about giving it a shot.

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I've been kind of browsing around, and though it seems like its very confusing to me, but I think if I give it a shot and actually witness what half of these sites are talking about I'll learn pretty quick. Now I'm talking about linux of course.

I've seen thats its better for 1st timers to get a CD with documentation about how to use linux packaged with it for a few bucks. What do you guys think?

Also, I don't quite understand what distro I should be going for, I'm not running a server or anything, just an experiment desktop deal.

I'll be trying knoppix just to see what its all about at 1st, and see how that goes I won't be able to do that till I get the burner for my main rig, which wont be for like a month, which is fine, because the 700MB ISO (or whatever it comes as) will probably take me that long to download using dial up :p

So what do you guys think I should do?

I've seen thats its better for 1st timers to get a CD with documentation about how to use linux packaged with it for a few bucks. What do you guys think?

Google will have the answers to all your questions and then some. Regardless of what flavor Linux you run, you'll get 10 fold the feedback and suggestions from Google than you would from a user guide or such.

Good choice on the knoppix too.

...Not to mention you'll most likely get trolled/flamed for asking questions that are quickly found by searching the docs, RTFMing or spending half a minute with Google.

Originally posted by [H]EMI_426
...Not to mention you'll most likely get trolled/flamed for asking questions that are quickly found by searching the docs, RTFMing or spending half a minute with Google.
lol, okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Get a Live cd distro to learn on. I'd say go with knoppix, or pclinuxOS. I know cheapbytes.com sells knoppix for like 5 bucks, or find someone local with broadband that will d/l it for you and burn it to cd.

Back