Really slow download speeds in Win 7 Pro (IE and Firefox, but not utorrent)

Any ideas? All my DL speeds have been under 40kbps from ftp and http servers. However, when running torrents, I'm getting speeds in the 100-150kbps range. Any ideas what's going on?

(This is from many servers, I doubt it's that, Nvidia.com, Creative.com, Apple.com, Adobe.com)

edit: this is Windows 7 x64, forgot to mention. Running on my workstation in my sig.

also, my browsing speeds don't seem to be affected, just the download speeds. I'm updating my realtek drivers for my network adapter now, seeing if that will help. Win7 is supposed to have them built in, but we'll see if that helps.

edit2: I installed the new drivers, and it's slightly faster, but still way slower than on vista x64. I got a burst of 300kbps when I started the last download, which I hadn't seen in the past, but then it slowed right down to 50kpbs. It's not the router or the internet connection, my roommate isn't having this problem.

Last edited:
Is this all new hardware too, or just an OS upgrade?
If an upgrade, was it a fresh install or upgrade from Vista?

It's old hardware, same that I've had for the last couple years. I did a full clean install from a fully legal Win 7 pro x64 disc that I got from my university for free (yay being an engineer).

Hm...I'm the only one? Maybe it is my ISP or router...

We'll see if the saga continues, I'm having 12Mbit cable installed tomorrow.

Is this a DSL connection?

Have you limited utorrents upload speed or have it closed while downloading from those sites?? Letting it go full upload speed will slow download speeds.

Try going to www.speedguide.net and do all the vista/2008 tweaks, which will work fine on win7 x64 (cause I used it and no issues with broadband)

Back