Really, really need help - weird problem, IE7 and Explorer just close windows down

Xschtar

Weaksauce
Hey,

Sorry if I post in the wrong forum but I really need your help. Have posted in a couple of other places but I never did get a response. First off, I run Vista Ultimate on a P5W DH Deluxe + E6600 + 8800GTX + 2GB RAM etc etc. It has worked perfectly until 5 days ago... The 11th of March everything went coconuts. I've been thinking what I did that day that might have messed things up... I installed the DX10 Cascade demo which might have ruined DX and I accidentally installed 3 trojans (disguised as Ad-Aware) which I later removed with the real Ad-Aware. The trojans were Agent.Adaware and DeluxeCommunications.

Anywaaayy! My problem:

Internet explorer and regular Explorer closes down windows when I do certain things. For example, I can access CNN.com but when I try to go to Microsoft.com the window just closes down. Try again, same thing. Try 100 times, same thing. Some sites I can access, some sites I cannot. Strangely, it seems all sites related to solving the problem just close down (some weird trojan?). For example, when I google on my problem (IE7 closes down) I get some results with people with the same problem. I try to access the sites found by Google, almost all close down immediately. Also, on some sites I can surf around everywhere except for some places. On a certain forum I can access all forum categorys except "Microsoft OS and applications". When trying to access, it closes down. Explorer also closes down (sometimes, not always) when I browse folders related to the problem... I was looking in Program Files/Internet Explorer and it just closed down. Tried running DXDiag, closed down (though the Explorer closing down it not as severe, just try again and it works). I have no idea what's going on and having to format and reinstall Vista would really, really suck for me. I mean, really really. OH! And also. All games work as before, BUT, BUT - I can't run 3DMark06 because I get an error message saying something like "DirectX9blabla Device Not Found 0123...". So this got me thinking my DX might be malfunctioning and when trying to access things related to DX it doesn't work. OR it's a straaange trojan not found by Ad-Aware or Windows Defender. I tried installing F-Secure but the installation never started (tried 10 times), which I am sure is because of the trouble my comp is having! Oh and I can't reinstall DX or IE because I can't access the sites needed for the installation (have tried everything, all sites required for the download just close immediately). I tried playing around with the IE settings and returning all settings to Default etc etc., nothing works. But the problem is apparently not just IE but Explorer itselft. Could this be some strange trojan?

Sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate some help from someone with a little more skills....

Yeah, I'd use a real AV program (read: not ad-aware) to scan for viruses. I'd tell you to check in task manager if any processes are acting like viruses, but I have a feeling it'll close as soon as you open it.

Actually, task manager works fine and I don't see any strange processes. Have checked the startup in msconfig and it looks fine, too.

Ok I'm not gonna bump anymore but I really need help. Doesn't someone have any idea?

Try using Firefox and see if you have the same problems, and download the 30 day trial of NOD32 and do a complete scan with it, and then try SuperAntiSpyware... it definately sounds like a virus/various sorts of badness to me.. That's where I would start... if you can actually download anything..

Have downloaded and scanned, found nothing. Vista Ultimate x86 is the OS.

First I would try to load a system restore to a point before when you had problems. If that doesn't work try booting into safe mode to see if you have the same problem/scan with ClamWin AV and do an Error check on the HD. Hopefully something will work.

I've been having the same problems with ie7 on xp home. Can't figure it out.

Back