Really odd onboard audio failure..

Ramses

Supreme [H]ardness
Sabertooth 990FX R2, upgrading a happily working 7970 crossfire setup to a 280x crossfire setup, which is pretty much the same junk.

So, we run the AMD install manger, yank the vid driver and CCC, shutdown, R&R cards, boot it back up, install the Cat drivers, reboot, video is good, audio is gone.

Audio never came back.

I have tried every combination of installing, uninstalling, and even going back to my original card and card(s), restore, etc, nada. See video for repeatable weirdness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQokMwwCjs

It does that, forever. Nothing is being plugged into any jacks, the rear jacks were not touched till a problem popped up, the fronts were never used, the motherboard plug was not disturbed and I checked it. The 280x's are fine, bench well, no artifacts, nothing. I disabled onboard audio in the bios and other than no sound, the comp is fine.

Either something really freakin weird is going on, or the onboard audio just decided to die right when I was swapping cards, possibly from a short in the actual jacks on the back of the board. I was as careful as I've been with the hundreds of other cards I've swapped in the last twenty years. As an interesting aside, the last Asus board I had, an AM3 with the previous gen chipset, the onboard LAN died two weeks into owning it, least this one made it like, six months..

Any other ideas? Tomorrow I order a USB soundcard, since there isnt' room with the crossfire going on.

1. Why did you swap out 7970s for 280Xs? They are the same exact thing.

2. Can't you just get a PCI-E sound card and put it in the 2nd or 4th slot?

Are you trying to run audio out of the HDMI port to your receiver or out the audio jacks to PC speakers?
If you're going HDMI to reciever, the fix is the fix is here.
I just had AMD HDMI audio issues on my laptop where the default audio settings kept switching back to HDMI out instead of using the onboard speakers. No fix, every time I boot up I've got to go into settings and switch back to speakers from HDMI.
If you're going to PC speakers, see what you can do to disable the HDMI in device manager and reinstall the Realtek drivers.
Check and make sure your chipset drivers are up to date. I know, I know, probably are, but I've got to say it just in case you're the 1 out of 100 that missed that one.

1. Why did you swap out 7970s for 280Xs? They are the same exact thing.

2. Can't you just get a PCI-E sound card and put it in the 2nd or 4th slot?

Because HIS ICEq 280x's are waaaay quieter and cooler than HIS reference 7970's.
Yeah it was a huge waste of money but those cards were by far the loudest thing in my computer, even at idle. I'm happy with the 280's so far.

No room for PCIE sound card, the very bottom slot is open, but it'd completely block the front fan on the lower vid card.

Are you trying to run audio out of the HDMI port to your receiver or out the audio jacks to PC speakers?
If you're going HDMI to reciever, the fix is the fix is here.
I just had AMD HDMI audio issues on my laptop where the default audio settings kept switching back to HDMI out instead of using the onboard speakers. No fix, every time I boot up I've got to go into settings and switch back to speakers from HDMI.
If you're going to PC speakers, see what you can do to disable the HDMI in device manager and reinstall the Realtek drivers.
Check and make sure your chipset drivers are up to date. I know, I know, probably are, but I've got to say it just in case you're the 1 out of 100 that missed that one.

Sorry I should have clarified, I've never used HDMI audio out, just the onboard audio line out to a stereo receiver. Chipset stuff is as up to date as I can figure out how to make it for a 990fx board, I've uninstalled and disabled the HDMI AMD related stuff and tried to reinstall the Realtek stuff after cleaning out it's drivers really well, the best I can get is it installs, then that weird mic/speaker stuff in the vid starts happening.

Have you tried OS reinstall? Sounds like some core component or setting has been corrupted.

I just reinstalled windows a week or so ago, it's pretty fresh.
I found an account online finally of a similar failure mode with the switching mike/speaker like I have, he RMA'd the board finally. I don't think I'm going to bother, this box can't be down for weeks and I can live without onboard audio. Too bad there really isn't anything better to upgrade this board to other than maybe a crossfire lol.

I did try removing the AMD HDMI dirvers again, same stuff. No matter what I do, it ends up like in that video with the headphones and speakers switching on and off constantly. If I can find a version of linux that will boot on this box I'll check it through there but that's about my last idea.

I am assuming you did the very basic like right click the volume icon at the bottom of the screen and selected choose playback device?

I am assuming you did the very basic like right click the volume icon at the bottom of the screen and selected choose playback device?

Yep, that video I posted is what you get when you do that in windows 7.

Are you using the front audio connector header on the motherboard? I'd check to see if maybe one of the pins are shorted...

it was hooked up, I pulled it out pretty early on just to be sure. no go

Just a couple of thoughts, change the HDMI cable to the other card and/or disable hdmi audio for one of the cards.

No HDMI in use, was using the onboard line out to a receiver.

In other news, Xonar U7 is pretty nice, sound quality on good source material is better than the onboad, I don't care what anyone says lol. If I ever replace this board I'll RMA it's 5 year warranty self and see what happens maybe.

Back