Really good RMA experience with OCZ.

leeleatherwood

[H]ard|Gawd
Last September my brother bought me a Vertex 2 90GB for my birthday. Last week on Thursday it went bad, typical problem that everyone has of the drive disappearing from Bios/Windows.

That same day (Thursday) I filled out the RMA request on the website and on Friday morning I had my RMA number. I stopped by the post office that same Friday to mail it back. Their website said wait at least 3 days after they receive the package before contacting them in regards to the status. I was planning on contacting them next Monday. (Shipping time + 3 days I was estimating Monday)

Well, UPS just shows up at my door with a brand new one in the box with all accessories. That was a 6 day turn around time with no hassles and no fuss. Its been the best RMA experience I have had. :D

That is because OCZ now has the RMA process down to a science with the extreme experience they have with all the returns :D

My experience is the exact opposite.. Not only did it take a few weeks to get a replacement (I didn't bother with an advance replacement, as I had a spare), they sent me a 25nm drive to replace my 34nm drive. On top of that, it's one with the 64Gbit modules, so it's ~4GB smaller than my original drive.

Dealing with support is an absolute nightmare. They claim these drives are just as fast as the 34nm drives, based on their advertised (ie, their marketing literature) ATTO benchmarks. Unfortunately, that doesn't hold true in the real world. compressed data written to the drive tops out at about 80MB/sec, vs the older drive which would be closer to 150MB/sec.

Not to mention the fact that the write endurance on the 25nm drives is much lower than the 34nm. Of course, since it's an OCZ product I doubt it'll live long enough to wear the NAND out.

While they are offering to replace it with a drive containing 32Gbit modules, I suspect they are going to expect me to pay return shipping for their error. Honestly, if they do, I'm prepared to just give the drive away, as it'll cost more than the drive would be worth.

Honestly, it's like RMA'ing a 7200rpm drive to Seagate and getting back a 5400rpm drive, but having Seagate say that because their advertised benchmarks are the same, that what the real world shows doesn't matter.

I can honestly say the last few days of arguing with their support is the worst customer service experience I've *ever* had. I can't recommend staying away from their products enough.

I've got a pile (14) of OCZ drives I just replaced with Intel 520 drives that I haven't decided what to do with.

I am thinking burn pile or sledgehammer. No use to me as reliable data storage devices.

I've got a pile (14) of OCZ drives I just replaced with Intel 520 drives that I haven't decided what to do with.

I am thinking burn pile or sledgehammer. No use to me as reliable data storage devices.

Models of OCZ? :eek:

And who in there right mind would buy them now!

So do I, I have 12 OCZ drives that I replaced with Crucial M4s sitting on my desk. I can't put them into production machines cause I don't trust them.

I will buy some of them from you.

Sending a PM time now.

So do I, I have 12 OCZ drives that I replaced with Crucial M4s sitting on my desk. I can't put them into production machines cause I don't trust them.

Depending on size and what you would ask for them... I'd be willing to take a chance on non-critical systems. Still running hard disks in my systems and wouldn't mind seeing what all this SSD hype is about... just poor at the moment :)

And who in there right mind would buy them now!

Someone low on cash and wanting a couple for non-critical systems? Seriously, I've got three systems that could benefit from SSDs (daughter's desktop, an HTPC in her room, and my office HTPC), all of which are backed up via WHS. If a drive craps out... just drop the old hard drive back in and restore. All files are stored on a server anyways and any of these systems could be down for a week without anyone complaining...

Box them up real nice with wrapping paper, bows, ribbon... Mail them them to your worst enemies.

So send them for free! :p

Seriously, I have a couple machines that could use them for non-critical data like games and stuff.

Let me put it another way- I've not going to let these drives have the satisfaction of making someone else happy after the pain they have inflicted.

They have had their last chance. Out of principle. ;)

Granted I had a skitzo Vertex 30GB back in the day but I figured by now OCZ had figured out...something....to the point that they weren't so bad anymore. Guess not.

Was planning on going to MC tomorrow to get an Agility 3 120GB for $89....guess I'll spend an extra $15 to walk out with an M4 instead. :confused:

My 240GB Vertex 2 paid a fortune (but a deal at the time) is going on 2 years without a hitch, on the other hand the Crucial M225 I had before that died in less than a year.

My 240GB Vertex 2 paid a fortune (but a deal at the time) is going on 2 years without a hitch, on the other hand the Crucial M225 I had before that died in less than a year.

I said the same thing about my 120GB Vertex 2 (bought in June 2010) just before it died in February. Don't jinx yourself!

I have had a very mixed experience with OCZ drives..30-40% failure rate in the first 2 years on qty 10. I've also got 2 intel 330's that I've had no issues with and a crucial m4 that has been fine so far as well.

I'd rather pay an extra 15-20% and get a non-ocz drive than an OCZ one....

I'd rather pay an extra 15-20% and get a non-ocz drive than an OCZ one....

Yeah, I think that's the point I'm at.
Not really dealing with critical data, and I don't mind doing a reinstall (after all I do them often enough being in the field anyway that I've narrowed them down to a fairly quick and easy process :D).....but yeah, after having 9 months of error free Vertex use and then several months of failed installs, chkdsk errors and general issues....I don't want to go down that path again. I want 'trouble-free'....looks like I'm buying an M4. ;)

I know ANY part from ANY manufacturer can have it's quirks or issues; it just seems like OCZ has them more often, especially when it comes to SSD's. I'm basically (now) scared to even bother buying and trying their products again.

Or you could do what I did and get them to buy the drives back from you. I didn't get anywhere near what I paid for a year ago, but I did get "market value." Of course this was after I had an RMA every 2-3 months because 1 or more of my SSDs would die in that period.

Back