Realistic timeranges for CompTIA certificates and...

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
What would be a realistic time range of preparation for the exams of said certificates?

1. This batch of certificates
A+
Network+
Security+
Servers+

2. This batch in round two
Linux+
CCNA

3. Both or either of these in round three
MCP
MSCE

Starting next semester I am wanting to take college courses to prepare me for the exams of said certificates. Of course, for the Microsoft ones for example (or at least one of them), I would probably have to take $2000/week outside-of-college courses or invest in video training to prepare. :p

I could probably take the actual exams right after finishing the semester(s), or in the summer. I am wanting to attain everything under #1 and #2 within two or three semesters (or 1 year), and at least one of the things under #3 within 1.5 to 2 years (from now of course).

Am I being realistic or... ? :(

I would go ahead and try to get as many of the CompTIA certs as you can before January 1st because under the new guidelines they will no longer be valid for a lifetime like they currently are.

I know a lot of people will say they are a waste of time and money, but if you are intent on taking them I would try to knock `em out quick.

Ah, then perhaps I should knock out the Linux+ certification sooner. I don't think I can handle 5 classes, but perhaps I should give 5 classes (instead of 4) a try, since computers is my brain's natural language.

EDIT: What am I saying. I'm the unlucky bird as far as that goes. I can't start working toward these certifications until after this current semester. Reason being is because I had not found out sooner that I didn't need any general education classes and could have started working and preparing for these certifications since day 1 of the first semester a year ago (this is my third semester).

I am in the IT field. I'm one of those kids that got a computer at age 5. And I love networking and security. If it helps any.. *working on edit below, check back in a few minutes*

*edit: if only I can find it.. still looking*

Hm, well I have seemingly misplaced my journal. Anyway, this one day I wrote down something in perfect words, and unfortunately I cannot recall what they were. But over the last year I have been a network administrator at an industrial place, and am currently working as a systems administrator at a wholesale company whose entire business I saved because of failing Linux servers. Additionally, I recently got the opportunity to be a systems administrator for a company working in the underground of Springfield, MO, but unfortunately had to turn it down (would have been a really cool high security-sector job though).

You can find my resume at http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/resume_20101024.pdf. My resume does not include or mention that I own http://www.hlrse.net/, http://www.bluetoast.org/, http://www.bluetoast.net/, or run a personal blog (which I will not post here), and that I started BlueToast Webhosting by myself from scratch in 2003. And although there is a brief mention about web development, I do not emphasis my XHTML/CSS skills (BlueToast's design is also 100% me).

FYI, I am 19 years old.
At 18, I began working in an IT department as a PC Technician, but primarily responsible for leading the initial setup of the corporation's SharePoint Services as a VM through vCenter.
At early 19 (birthday is in mid-December), I began working as a network administrator at one of the corporation's clients.
At mid-late 19, I began working as a systems administrator for a small wholesale company and (honestly, by miracle and being in the right place at the right time with the right stuff) saved the company from shutting down because of their Linux servers failing and system falling apart

(Something like that but in a million times better words was written in my journal; the above as it is probably won't "hit the spot" for what I've achieved fresh out of HS.)

Now, just a reminder, I did not post the above as a way of boasting or anything. I try to live a humble lifestyle. I hope it fills in some blanks though.

I want to collect some certificates to give me some essential knowledge in the real-life aspect of things.
I want to collect the CCNA, Linux+, MCP and MSCE to establish my career.
And I strongly feel that this is the route I should go for my life; my heart is taking me this way. ;o

Last edited:
Network+ is pretty easy, if you can set up a network and do CIDR you can pass it. Security+ has a lot of non-computer security stuff so you'll have to look at that otherwise that wasn't bad either. I have the old linux+ so can't help you with the new one.

Network+ is pretty easy, if you can set up a network and do CIDR you can pass it. Security+ has a lot of non-computer security stuff so you'll have to look at that otherwise that wasn't bad either. I have the old linux+ so can't help you with the new one.

Network+ has no CIDR or any subnetting on it. You just have to know what the 5 IP Class ranges are.

Fuck compTIA certs, they don't mean anything and most likely you won't learn anything. Any competent employer will know that they are meaningless, plus you have experience in the field, which negates what I've seen most people get the certs for (a placeholder for experience until they can get some). Go for the CCNA and MSCE, those are the real certs worth getting. Also as a sys admin you may want to look into VCP certificates as well (if you use VMware which I'm sure you do in one place or another).

If you ever plan on working with or for the government then Security+ is a good cert to have.

Fuck compTIA certs, they don't mean anything and most likely you won't learn anything. Any competent employer will know that they are meaningless, plus you have experience in the field, which negates what I've seen most people get the certs for (a placeholder for experience until they can get some). Go for the CCNA and MSCE, those are the real certs worth getting. Also as a sys admin you may want to look into VCP certificates as well (if you use VMware which I'm sure you do in one place or another).

you gotta start somewhere. Comp tia cets is where i started in the beginning. It helped me, really "get into" computers. It made me really enjoy them....just saying.

unless you work for (contractor, government civ, gov emp, etc) and are required to satisfy DoD Directive 8570

I laughed a bit as well when I read that part :)

Cerulean: Personally I would take the the educational goals off of your resume, but at the very least I would suggest taking off the MCP and MCSE goals. Forecasting that you're aiming to get those in two years doesn't mean much to an employer, especially for MCP since that only requires one test.

I laughed a bit as well when I read that part :)
frown.gif

I first passed my A+ and Network+ and got some phone calls for interviews but its when I passed my MCDST (XP) MCTS (7) and got my MCITP (2008) server when the phone calls started to roll in. Funny thing is i ended up in a Jr Linux Eng. job. Comptia certs will help you get looked at but the higher end certs MCITP, RHCE, VCP, CCNA gets the phone calls.

Cerulean: Personally I would take the the educational goals off of your resume, but at the very least I would suggest taking off the MCP and MCSE goals. Forecasting that you're aiming to get those in two years doesn't mean much to an employer, especially for MCP since that only requires one test.

Agreed, also I've never heard of Norton Backup Exec

If you're dedicated:

Any Comptia cert - Less than a month
CCNA level - a few months, maybe 3-4 if you have basic knowledge
MCSE, CCNP level - 8-12 months.

Comptia certs are notoriously easy. You need to set your bar higher if you want to distinguish yourself from the crowd.

So far I am thinking that in a series of three semesters, the first I should begin to study for Security+, Linux+, CCNA, Network+. Second semester would be for MCSE, MCP, VCP, ...

By all honesty, I don't think I need to take basics like A+. I really appreciate the advices and suggestions I am being offered. I'm not sure if I should take Network+ if all I need to know is the IP classes. As far as Security+, I think I will take that since it's more or less a desired cert, and Linux+ because I personally want it (for increased knowledge).

I'm still abit unsettled as to what I should prepare for (or begin to prepare for) within the first of three semesters. I know I definitely want to start Linux+ and Security+, but I need at least two more subjects.

I think all the comptia tests are "basic" entry level test. I like to call them vocabulary tests, because it just makes sure you know the basic terms etc. If you have any experience with computers I would skip them and go straight to the MS or cisco route.

Like others said though, if you do plan to take comptia tests you better get on the ball. After this year, they only last 3 years then you have to test again. Kinda stupid considering they are entry level and after 3 years experience you most likely won't bother retaking it.

With that experience, I think you should be able to knock out the comptia trifecta by the end of the year (A+/N+/Sec+). start studying now!

Comptia certs can get ur foot in the door when u don't have paid experience, and Cisco and Microsoft certs aren't as golden as you think, either. There are a lot of people who have them and yet can't do basic PC and network troubleshooting, repair, and configuration.

Anyway, to the OP, I got my A+ in February in March three months after I started studying. It would have been sooner, but I was working and going to school full time plus several other projects, so I kind of procrastinated and kept pushing the test back :eek:, and I plan to go for my CCNA in the next few months and then VCP afterwards. With your experience, you should probably go for CCNA or VCP as was suggested above.

Well, if you are resourceful you can find all the video training you want online for download... just sayin'

CBT Nuggets are decent for getting a feel for the material but you can't pass any tests using that alone.

Personally I prefer instructor-led training, especially when new to the industry, for higher level certs like MCSE, CCNA, etc. And yes I do think CCNA is a higher level cert relative to anything CompTIA, the lower-end MS certs, etc since the tests keep getting harder and harder since I first passed mine around a decade ago.

There's no need to set arbitrary time frames for passing tests though. The goal is to learn and become proficient not just accumulate certs.

BTW, I'm: CCNP, CCNA, CCDA, MCSE (twice), MCSA, MCP+I, RHCT, and A+ certified. I think I'm at 30 exams over the last 11 years or so. And yes you will get burned out taking them at some point.

Back