• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Realistic 24/7 5850 overclock?

digitalgunfire

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 26, 2008
Messages
317
I have a reference, OEM ATI 5850. I'm currently running at 1.187v and I have it at 840/1150.

If I keep pushing it, it starts artifacting pretty fast. I think I can probably get it higher with more juice but it is already hitting 80c in Furmark with fan at 54% and it's not even that warm in here yet. I'm running it in a pretty well ventilated P182 (three front fans, one rear, top exhaust)

I'd like to push it further but I fear once summer arrives it will just be an overheating mess. I've seen people get these things up to 900+ on the core. Is that a realistic day to day or is this the top end of the card? Think I should just leave it at 840/1150?
 
Wow, people are getting stable 950/1250 @ 1.2?

Mine was getting up to 80c already at the speeds I had it at unless I really jacked the fan up (was at ~54%)
 
Just create some profiles, run default speed at all times and then when you game unlock your juice to feed the beast.
 
I got mine to 850 on the core with stock voltages stable.
 
I got mine to 850 on the core with stock voltages stable.

Not all video clocks overclock equally well, even within the same brand and model.
I think with summer coming out, unless you've got water cooling coming, I'd stick at an OC that works and doesn't overheat your gpu too much.

The difference between 840 OC and 900 OC is probably less than 2-3 fps. So don't sweat it.
 
Wow, people are getting stable 950/1250 @ 1.2?

Mine was getting up to 80c already at the speeds I had it at unless I really jacked the fan up (was at ~54%)

That's exactly what I run mine at when I game, without a single issue.

After 2 hours of play, i'll reach 70°C @ 62% user-defined fan speeds.
 
Last edited:
I haven't really even tried to go past 900mhz/1200mhz on my main card, I don't volt past 1.18v either. I can usually set the fan to 55% and not worry about temps going above ~75c.

Most of the time I leave clocks at default and fix fan at 32%. That doesn't cut the mustard for Crysis or Metro 2033, but fine for the majority of games out.
 
I need to flash the BIOS to do that, still running the standard ATI so I can't use Afterburner. I'll probably do that soon though.
 
Back
Top