Real quick Mobo question

TimothyB

[H]ard|Gawd
I tried searching for an answer but kept getting too much other stuff like questions on the difference between a 20 and a 24 pin connector for a mobo and stuff.

I'm nearly ready to turn on the power to my Gigabyte DS3 with Conroe and I have the PSU connected to the mobo with the 24 pin connector and I also have the separate 4 pin 12 volt connected to an area near the cpu, from what I read to it's to power the cpu mainly.

My question is, are you still suppose to use that separate 4pin 12v connector if you already use a 24 pin main poewr cable? I was just worried that maybe with a 24pin connection you wouldn't need the separate 4 pin 12v connector, but from what I've read it seems like you are suppose to do both.

So is that right, connecting the 24 pin main cable and the separate 4pin 12v cable is correct?

33 viewing and no one can answer this yet after nearly an hour?

Sorry, I just really want to turn on my new computer :)

Use either a 24 or 20pin ATX connector, and the supplimental 12v plug...

You can never have too MUCH amperage available.

Thanks for the reply

Now I have someone to blame if something goes wrong :) joking

Page 19 of your manual states: If the ATX_12V power connector is not connected, the system will not start. As for the 20/24pin power connection you could use either but for the best stability if you have a 24pin power supply then use it! alot of boards out there will boot and run with either configuration but the extra 4 pins on the end are recommended for ensuring adequate power to all your components.

The Only time I Can Remember Not plugging ever cable into the Mobo was with the PRO-AGP 12v Plug other than that all P4 Connectors and so on have to be plugged for Proper Usage.

Back