REAL Homemade Hoverbike

I think it should have a deadman's switch type thing, kinda like a lawnmower, whereby it only keeps running so long as both hands are on the handlebars. If he lets go it instantly shuts down, this way if he rolls it or something he doesnt turn his legs into hamburger

I think it should have a deadman's switch type thing, kinda like a lawnmower, whereby it only keeps running so long as both hands are on the handlebars. If he lets go it instantly shuts down, this way if he rolls it or something he doesnt turn his legs into hamburger

Furze doesn't have time for all that safety shit, because Furze is WOOOOOOOOOOOO

That was a pretty cool machine, now with some pitch control on those props he could possibly move forward. But yea fishing net to protect from those tri props flying off and chopping you is not a sound choice.
A kill switch would take may be an hour to implement and very little cost. Speaking of cost i would love to have the coin he puts into these projects. I would take it all and make a biplane.

This is pretty cool, but I think we need to come together as a society and define what a hover-thing is. As in it has to be a device that hovers at least 1 foot off the ground and is stable. It also can't be held aloft by chemical propellants or props. I've seen a lot of professed hover things, but nothing that really qualifies to me. The closest is those magnetically levitated hoverboards that need to be supercooled and run on a metalic surface. But they don't really hover high enough and are hugely impractical. I'm sure we'll have real hover-things in the future but for now let's just stop abusing the term.

This is a small helicopter.

This is pretty cool, but I think we need to come together as a society and define what a hover-thing is. As in it has to be a device that hovers at least 1 foot off the ground and is stable. It also can't be held aloft by chemical propellants or props. I've seen a lot of professed hover things, but nothing that really qualifies to me. The closest is those magnetically levitated hoverboards that need to be supercooled and run on a metalic surface. But they don't really hover high enough and are hugely impractical. I'm sure we'll have real hover-things in the future but for now let's just stop abusing the term.

This is a small helicopter.
Don't helicopters hover?

/Puts on dad hat

Wear a g@#da*& helmet Colin. Sheesh... as if building flamethrowers and rocket launchers wasn't bad enough. The saying is "monkey see, monkey do," even if its just a football helmet, at least our little monkeys will have a visual cue for the concept.

/Takes off dad hat

Can I have one?

2:10 almost was an interesting explanation at the ER as to how his leg got amputated

Reactions: Rahh
like this
It is a good thing that NASA, at the time, didn't have the attitude a lot of people here have. We would still be thinking "what is on the moon".

I can see the Patent Application now...

"Device to provide both Circumcision and Hemorrhoid operations in one single, efficient step."

That guy nuts have to be HUGE to get on that thing.... It's not his legs I would be worried about getting hit by those blades!

It is a good thing that NASA, at the time, didn't have the attitude a lot of people here have. We would still be thinking "what is on the moon".

There's a distinction between having the bravery to fly out of the nest and "hold my beer and watch this". NASA used to have the former but lost it. Furze has only ever had the latter.

Reactions: Damar
like this
I'm sure the inventor of the first bicycle would have been crashing and making the invention look like a really bad idea too, but with practice comes finesse.

Not a bad idea!

I still want to make a gyrocopter if I could have anything. Maybe after the kids move out I can get my hands on a rotax engine and get building. ;)

I haven't looked in awhile, I wonder where that Aussie is with his Air-Bike?

See, there are two fundamentally different approaches to a vehicle like this. One is the one in this video, a "hover" bike, where the motors are using down-forced air to generate what he erroneously called "lift".

The other approach which is the one I would be interested in, is where the motors generate true lift, like the wings of a plane or the rotors of a helicopter. A vehicle like that is not constrained to a few feet of the ground but instead can truly fly.

Make something like that so that I can make to 75 mile drive to Tucson in 15 or 20 minutes with no traffic to contend with and I can swing right down and land in a regular parking space and I'll spend thirty grand for it.

I think it's this one;
MA Hoverbike

Make something like that so that I can make to 75 mile drive to Tucson in 15 or 20 minutes with no traffic to contend with and I can swing right down and land in a regular parking space and I'll spend thirty grand for it.

The trouble with that idea is that everyone would have one. And then you would have lots and lots of air traffic.

And if you think people in general are bad at driving on a 2D road system with an abundance of signage, just think of what they will do in a fully 3D environment. How are you going to keep them in a lane in the air and all moving parallel to each other when they can't even do it in a car? And now instead of being able to only crash into things beside the road, they'll be able to crash ANYWHERE. Nice roof you used to have there.

See, there are two fundamentally different approaches to a vehicle like this. One is the one in this video, a "hover" bike, where the motors are using down-forced air to generate what he erroneously called "lift".

The other approach which is the one I would be interested in, is where the motors generate true lift, like the wings of a plane or the rotors of a helicopter. A vehicle like that is not constrained to a few feet of the ground but instead can truly fly.

I think it's this one;
MA Hoverbike
I think he has the fan like a helicopter would, but he can't get higher because it lacks power.

Because planes fly in lanes and crash into roofs all the time?

Look, this isn't likely to be many people's primary mode of transport and wouldn't replace the soccer mom's SUV any time soon I think. I am sort of doubting that the skies would be full of these all that fast. But then again, my imagination is somewhat limited to the Tucson Arizona area, perhaps the northeast would be different. I would imagine that just like with motorcycles, weather would play a large role in when to fly, and when to stick with 4 wheels.

Now I hadn't considered what smacking into a drone at 105 MPH would do for my morning attitude so ........

It does have counter rotating props, the front engine is upside down thus making it spin the opposite of the rear.

Not good enough - each of those is going to pull to the side and you can see that it tends to spin. He needs coaxial counter rotating props.

How English of him, wears a tie to test a flying lawn mower.
I believe he calls that his "safety tie." Never mind all the abundant warnings NOT to wear such apparel when operating any sort of moving equipment... :D

Except Jackasses just do stupid things that anyone can do, while this guy actually does some genuinely interesting things.

I love the fact that he never wears a god damn helmet in anything that he does. It's pretty ballzy and def some living in the moment type shit.

The circular motion of the blades IS generating lift. The blades of a propeller act like the wing of a plane moving through the air. It is not "pushing air" down generating thrust, it is in fact moving through the air so fast that the blades have generated lift upon themselves to push upward. It's the same with a helicopter, the blades are just like airplane wings spinning through the air to support the weight of the aircraft hanging below it.

Back