Real 7970 Info: AMD's GCN Preview

It’s clear that 2011 is shaping up to be a big year for GPUs, and we’re not even half-way through. So stay tuned, there’s much more to come.

Lol what??

They bumped that article up on 12/21/2011.

Allegedly 12/22 is the launch of the 7970. Is this a coincidence or does Anandtech already have a 7970 unit and is in the process of reviewing it tonight and posting it up by tomorrow morning?

I didn't realize it was a rebump, in any case I had not read it before and find the detailed architecture analysis at least as interesting as a bunch of graphs showing how it does on early (read: Beta) drivers. Based on the reviews now out it looks like a healthy card, however if they are going to play the price parity game with Nvidia then they REALLY need to step up their game on drivers!

The PCPer article...

http://pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-3GB-Graphics-Card-Review-Tahiti-28nm

Now I need to wait patiently for the card to be released and hope like hell the price of the 6970 (and therefore the 6950) drops. Or at least a bunch of people ditching their old 6950/6970s. Otherwise, I'm going to be broke come February.

EDIT: Just realized. Now that we have actual honest to God PCI-e 3.0 cards, we can finally find out how many motherboard manufacturers were fudging the truth.

Last edited:
Back