Readyboost with Company of Heroes. Impressive

Nice. Seems the biggest boost is when there is little memory. Nice find.

Now how exactly does this work? Just plug a USB (has to be flash?) memory device to it?

Well gee, that's what ReadyBoost is supposed to do: help low RAM systems work better with Vista. It's not a "GamesBoost" thing, it's for the entire system, so yes, I can imagine it will help even games on low RAM boxen, but what serious gamer would be playing a game like Company of Heroes with 512MB of system RAM to start with? :)

Yes, you just plug it in and windows will ask you if you want to use the drive for Readyboost. I think it will only work with USB flash drive. They are cheap enough so you could add a 1gb easy.

Well gee, that's what ReadyBoost is supposed to do: help low RAM systems work better with Vista. It's not a "GamesBoost" thing, it's for the entire system, so yes, I can imagine it will help even games on low RAM boxen, but what serious gamer would be playing a game like Company of Heroes with 512MB of system RAM to start with? :)

But it gave a 10% boost with the system with 2gb. That's impressive.

Yes, you just plug it in and windows will ask you if you want to use the drive for Readyboost. I think it will only work with USB flash drive. They are cheap enough so you could add a 1gb easy.

card media as well (i.e. sd cards)

My only suggestion:

Do these kinds of benchmarks yourselves, on your own hardware, and match the RAM or the game if possible. Find out if it works specifically for you because unfortunately with Vista, every single machine is different because every single install is different.

There are just too many possible variables in this published result that can affect those framerates. People see it, think "Damn, that's amazing, I'll run out and get a USB thumbdrive today!" and come home expecting that 10% boost, or more. And if they don't get it, what happens then?

I'm sure you can figure that out... :p

Even when a website publishes the hardware and software used for the benchmarks, it does not mean you'll get the same results, even if you match the hardware and software perfectly. As has been noted across many postings here and all over the Internet, SuperFetch and ReadyBoost are two things that really have no consistently reliable way for testing the benefits of their use.

What I'd like to know is how much Flash they had, how it was connected (USB, CF-IDE, Firewire) and who made it. Also a comparison to a WinXP system with the same specs would be nice.

There are just too many possible variables in this published result that can affect those framerates.

You could say that about any review. They only had 2 variables, a: system ram b: connect flash drive.

Seems simple enough it you've taken statistics.

You could say that about any review. They only had 2 variables, a: system ram b: connect flash drive.

Seems simple enough it you've taken statistics.

Guess you've got a lot to learn about Vista, still. :)

The legit reviews article was pretty good. Site is pretty decent.

I thought this was mainly for boosting seek times and stuff like that. Supposedly BF2 would load at half the times with this boost.

Hey if you get a few more frames that is cool. ;)

The legit reviews article was pretty good. Site is pretty decent.

I thought this was mainly for boosting seek times and stuff like that. Supposedly BF2 would load at half the times with this boost.

Hey if you get a few more frames that is cool. ;)

Yeah I didnt even think FPS could improve with this feature. I thought it was only for seek / loading times. I myself am going to be getting a ATP ToughDrive as it is one of the fastest Flash drives right now and enable ReadyBoost. I will try and run some tests to see and get some real numbers

I have been using 1Gig Lexar jump drive just for the heck of it but I will be installing Company of Heroes and run some test of my own. This ready boost thing has been eating my brain cause I'm debating whether I buy a 4Gig flash drive or not.

This time I will not only test FPS . I will also test loading times in Company of Heroes when starting a single player skirmish and so BF2.

Loading times is where I believe ready boost comes handy.

By way I currently have 2Gigs of RAM and that's where I'm a little skeptical it will make a difference to me :D

Can you guys do the same? Lets put together a mini database of FPS and Loading times with and without RB. This will somehow help with so many opinions out there :)

How about we use this format:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Opteron 175 Dual @ 2.8Ghz
Flash Drive: 1Gig Lexar
RAM: 2Gigs
GPU: 8800GTS
Drivers: 100.59

Game: Company of Heroes
FPS w/o RB: ??
FPS with RB: ??
Load Time w/o RB: ??
Load Time with RB: ??
------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using an Apacer HT203 2gig flash drive. I can't really say I notice too much of a difference, however via Task Manager my Memory Hard Faults/sec now hover around 0-5 instead of 20+ before without the Readyboost.

...Find out if it works specifically for you because unfortunately with Vista, every single machine is different because every single install is different.
As opposed to XP or any other OS, where every single install is exactly the same. :rolleyes:

-bZj

Back