read only filesystem after dd in cygwin

hofan41

Limp Gawd
Hey folks,

I was trying to get the intel x25m firmware update ISO onto my usb flash drive because I don't have a cdrom.

So I used cygwin dd to copy the contents of the mounted ISO (thru daemon tools) to my usb drive.

I guess windows must've mounted it again real fast because:

$ dd if=/cygdrive/c/test.img of=/dev/sde
dd: writing to `/dev/sde': Permission denied
65+0 records in
64+0 records out
32768 bytes (33 kB) copied, 0.058 s, 565 kB/s

Now I cannot seem to write or reformat the usb drive at all. Is there anybody here who knows how to clear the filesystem? Running windows 7 32-bit here.

$ dd if=/cygdrive/c/test.img of=/dev/sde
dd: writing to `/dev/sde': Read-only file system

You can't just write an ISO file to a USB stick like this. You're going to stomp all over the partition table and then write a filesystem that no operating system expects to see on a flash disk.

You will likely need to repair the partition table on your USB disk now; you can try testdisk, but the easiest way is probably to use Parted Magic/a Linux LiveCD. Then reformat/recreate the FAT32 filesystem.

Once that's done, try Unetbootin to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO (assuming the ISO is bootable). What you're trying to do definitely won't work. If this doesn't work and if a DOS-based firmware utility is used, you could use Unetbootin to create a FreeDOS boot disk and then toss the files on the USB stick once that's done and run them manually.

You can't just write an ISO file to a USB stick like this. You're going to stomp all over the partition table and then write a filesystem that no operating system expects to see on a flash disk.

lol, yeah I realized that the moment I saw the error occur. "ohhhhh shiit"

You will likely need to repair the partition table on your USB disk now; you can try testdisk, but the easiest way is probably to use Parted Magic/a Linux LiveCD. Then reformat/recreate the FAT32 filesystem.

thx for the tip, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Back