• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Reactivating a SATA Dynamic Disc in Win XP

Blackdog

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
140
So I got a new system up. New mobo (asus A8N SLI Deluxe), new CPU (AMD Athlon XP 3500+), new RAM (1 gb pc3200) and new video card (MSI gf 6800 gt 256 mb). But I was going to re-use all my old HDD's.

Old system was Asus A7N8X Deluxe with silicon image sata controller on it, amd 2800+ cpu, 1.5 gb pc2700 and gf 5950 256 mb.

I have 1 36 gb sata raptor wd hdd (for OS & Apps), 1 74 gb sata raptor wd hdd (documnts/files) and 1 250 gb ide wd hdd (for games).

Hooked the 36 gb up to the Silicon Image controller on my A8N SLI Deluxe mobo.

So when I installed windows, I only had the 36 gb hooked up, so it would not try to select any other drives. Wiped it clean, and reinstalled windows, since new mobo usually means fresh install of Windows. Then I got windows all updated, SP2 installed, updates, etc. Then I hooked the other hard drives back up (after powering the system down, of course ;) ).

Get back into windows. It sees the IDE drive, but won't see or reactivate the 2nd SATA drive. It shows up in the Silicon Image Raid Controller setup thing when the PC boots, but won't show up in windows - and I don't want to format it, b/c it has all my stuff on it.

I really should have backed all my files up, but - I was lazy this time.

Anybody know any way I can restore that drive without losing anything on it? :confused:
 
Right-click My Computer, click "Manage."

Then click on "Disk Management" in the left-hand pane.

You should see the disk in the right-hand pane (when it comes up, a few seconds or so), but it will have a Red X on it. Right-click the disk where it says "Disk 3" or whatever the number is and choose "Import Foreign Disks." In the next window you should only have to check the "Simple Volume" box and click Ok, but there may be another step, I'm not 100% sure.

Look here too:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_klvo.asp

Reply back with whatever happens.
 
Make sure that you've got all the drivers installed.

That board has 2 different SATA controllers on it. the Intel in the bios and the Silicon Image which is an add-on.
The silicon image is a SATA raid controller and it must have it's drivers installed before XP can see anything that's hooked to it.

Luck
 
feigned said:
Right-click My Computer, click "Manage."

Then click on "Disk Management" in the left-hand pane.

You should see the disk in the right-hand pane (when it comes up, a few seconds or so), but it will have a Red X on it. Right-click the disk where it says "Disk 3" or whatever the number is and choose "Import Foreign Disks." In the next window you should only have to check the "Simple Volume" box and click Ok, but there may be another step, I'm not 100% sure.

Look here too:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_klvo.asp

Reply back with whatever happens.
I know how to do this, unfortunately, it won't allow anything to be imported. There are 3 options there. Convert to Basic, Help and another option, but none that will allow me to import or reactivate.

I also had the Silicon Image driver floppy I created and pressed F6 as usual in the Windows Setup.

I ended up reinstalling Win XP (my copy has SP1 already with it). Did not do any updates or install SP2 - still didn't help.

Going to purchase a copy of R-Studio. I checked out the demo, and it sees everything on my drive and I was able to make an image of it - but can't restore till I get the full version (demo only restores files 64k and below).
 
Back
Top