Re-installing win7 without disturbing dynamic disks

efexone

n00b
I currently have one OS drive, and two 3tb drives setup in a mirror configuration in win7. I want to re-install the OS (format os drive) .. how will that affect the data disks, since they are pretty much a raid 1 controlled via win 7. Just need to know if its safe to continue since I usually deal with raid on a hardware lvl, not OS.

I currently have one OS drive, and two 3tb drives setup in a mirror configuration in win7. I want to re-install the OS (format os drive) .. how will that affect the data disks, since they are pretty much a raid 1 controlled via win 7. Just need to know if its safe to continue since I usually deal with raid on a hardware lvl, not OS.
Dynamic disk data configuration is stored on the hard drives. I do not believe you would lose anything, though I've never tried Windows raid, then wiped a drive.

For my own curiosity, is there a reason your not using the hardware version? Even built in motherboard raid is better than the OS level stuff. I run Intel RST Raid 1 and it works perfect.

I had an issue with my previous hardware raid 5 array I had in the machine - i gutted it in desperation and replaced it with the simple setup. Im in the market for a storage server and will hold out till drives come down in price. the machine is a dell t5400. I check to see if it has hardware raid on the MB.

When you grab drives, look at RAID 10. It's superior to RAID 5 performance wise, it just requires one more drive and you lose a little more space.

Back