Re-installing Vista, What are those things I need to do again?

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
So it doesn't use a ton of memory and keep using HD space? I remember I have to turn something off so it doesn't keep using a % of my HD space to back it up? Anyone?

vlite go, a must do.

Removing Windows Search via vlite, actually has erradiated the hdd thrashing vs. just disabling the service after a regular install. Night and day difference.

vlite go, a must do.

Removing Windows Search via vlite, actually has erradiated the hdd thrashing vs. just disabling the service after a regular install. Night and day difference.

One potential problem with that suggestion is you might not be able to install SP1 if you use vLite, so you potentially lose out on those fixes.

One potential problem with that suggestion is you might not be able to install SP1 if you use vLite, so you potentially lose out on those fixes.
I used a MSDN Vista DVD last Sunday that had SP1 already integrated. Not an issue...

Or just torrent such a DVD if you still have the old original non-SP1 ones.

One HUGE change is the functionality of the built-in Windows firewall. Where the XP one was only unidirectional, Vista's works both ways, and is actually pretty darn effective.
Not by default.

And even though people griped and moaned for inward bound protection, I'd say most don't use it... simply way too naggy.

vlite go, a must do.

Like already said, Microsoft has an article out there that folks who use that may not be able to upgrade to SP1.
Just a warning to the OP... don't be surprised if you can't.

Not by default.

And even though people griped and moaned for inward bound protection, I'd say most don't use it... simply way too naggy.

Like already said, Microsoft has an article out there that folks who use that may not be able to upgrade to SP1.
Just a warning to the OP... don't be surprised if you can't.
And as I already said, you use an already SP1 integrated ISO.

After Vista's installed, just disable System Restore and the Windows Search service, and you've fixed it.

No need to get nutty with Vlite, as most people can and will royally screw things up with it from lack of knowledge and impatience with learning what negative impact removing features can have.

Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services then look for "Windows Search" on the list, double click it and select Startup Type as "Disabled" instead of Automatic, hit apply and restart computer

And as I already said, you use an already SP1 integrated ISO.
There's no need to be using something like vLite, especially with the risks. We aren't all running 20 GB hard drives anymore, so I still don't get the point of vLite, or even nLite for that matter. Nlite, to some extent, had a great purpose, of letting you add in drivers for storage controllers. However, given that Vista can load these drivers from a USB flash drive, leave well enough alone.

There's no need to be using something like vLite, especially with the risks. We aren't all running 20 GB hard drives anymore, so I still don't get the point of vLite, or even nLite for that matter. Nlite, to some extent, had a great purpose, of letting you add in drivers for storage controllers. However, given that Vista can load these drivers from a USB flash drive, leave well enough alone.

The only situations are very rare ones, IMO....

Kiosks... on outdated and slower hardware.... things of this nature when a scaled back OS would be better (which in that case, I'd just install Ubuntu or something, given all your stuff works).

There are plenty of reasons to use vLite/nLite, and none of them that I can think of are about hdd space or storage drivers. Storage/RAID driver support is built into Vista, all ICH8R and 9R boards I've used have worked right off the disc. Well... I think 9R, maybe I've only put it on 8R mobos... can't remember.

It's definitely an enthusiast tool... but highly useful if you format often for whatever reason.

Automated installation, fast OS installation disc, can be up and running at desktop unattended with almost no prompts past the hdd selection and ready to install latest nVidia/Creative drivers and a few apps.
Removal of services and components that cannot be adequately done otherwise. Disabling Windows Search service is not the same as removing the components via nLite for example.

Your going to have to expand on your FUD of "risks". As there are MANY people who use vLite/nLite without risks. The tool is very user friendly and steps you no matter how noob you are explaining what every component does and what other components rely on it. I was very shocked this last weekend how clean the GHUI was and how user friendly it was to use.

Search service = indexing???

Seems like forgetting something else besides system restore is there something else to turn off?
Also what does Search service do and why would I turn it off?

Seems like forgetting something else besides system restore is there something else to turn off?
Also what does Search service do and why would I turn it off?
You don't. In XP some people turned of indexing to 'supposedly' speed up their system speed, like how tweeking the page file = performance :rolleyes:

Someone mentioned 'search service' and I was just asking if they meant that in terms of vista indexing.

Other than system restore and the side bar (uses like 20-35mb of ram), there's nothing else really to turn off. There are some networking services that can be disable if your not on a network. Things to share printers with other computers, etc.

www.tweakguides.com and grab the vista one. It has a services section that talks about a half dozen unnecessary services to turn off.

Dont mean just RAM I mean like actual harddrive space. Whats the things that gobble up like a toooon of space. that you can disable? Did we cover Volume shadow copy? Hrmmm feels like still forgetting something

Well, then System Restore is the major one (Although I must say it can be helpful at times- I leave mine enabled).

Perhaps the best thing you could do is just run Disk Cleanup every so often, which can help you remove all the extra restore points.

It's an idea but you could change the way superfetch acts if you feel like it's doing nothing but constantly thrashing the hard drive.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnableSuperfetch

A value of 0 disables superfetch,1 prefetches boot processes, 2 prefetches applications and 3 is for both.

Back