Re-installed windows 7 64, now have issue with file associations..

Ok, this is effecting a wide range of programs, so I'm out of my element and haven't been able to google up an answer yet. Few weeks back I had a virus issue that resulted in me doing a complete nuke and pave. Virus is gone now, but new problem. A growing number of programs are having association issues, now I'm up to 3 and I want to head this off (or at least learn how to fix it) before it gets any worse.

Started out with KeePass. The program works just fine, but I can not use the keyboard shortcut to insert username/password into any other programs. Thought this was weird, but was moving so I blew it off.

Next I go to unzip something.. 7zip, of course. Problem is, 7zip isn't showing up in any of my context menus (always has before). Checked options, all the correct settings are turned on to put 7zip in said context menus. Ran as administrator to ensure settings could save, still no effect. Uninstalled and re-installed 7zip to try and fix, with a fresh download from the web.. still no joy.

Now I'm having general file association issues. Media files are suddenly being changed to extension type .m (manually turning them into .mp4 or another media file type fixes this). This started with no major software changes on my part, about two days ago.

I can fix the last problem, but the other two are still plaguing me.. while I can work around them, it's absurdly inconvenient and as I said, the problem seems to be getting worse over time. I don't know if it's all connected, or if it's just a grab bag of odd problems all thrown in together. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Sounds like the virus is still there.
Did you format the drive when you did your "nuke and pave"?

Back