• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Re-did wiring and now comp wont boot!

DieLate

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2003
Messages
236
So I re-did all of my wiring mainly to install my fan controller. After I did the computer wouldn't boot. So I took out the fan controller and it still wouldn't boot.
Now, I'm down to one stick of RAM and no optional components installed and it still isn't working.

It doesn't even post. No warning messages (the vocal error messages are enabled and I've heard them before). All that happens is I turn the PSU on, then hit the case power button and the fans begin to spin up, but only for about 1/2 second then spin down again. Before I took the HD out, it wasn't spinning up. If I hit the case power button again, NOTHING happens. I have to turn the PSU off and then on again before hitting the case power button for the fans to spin again.

I've cleared the CMOS by jumper a dozen times and even removed the battery for a few minutes. All jumpers and fan connectors are as they were before I touched it.

System info:
P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 2.4C
Mushkin Black Level 2 PC-3500
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (160GB/S-ATA)
Radeon 9800 Pro
PSU: Enermax 465


Everything was working fine before I redid the wiring. I wonder if anything got static shock. Unfortunately, I don't have any spare parts to swap out to test. Anyone else live in San Diego that wants to help me out with that? :(
 
Sounds like a PSU issue. Did you have power on at any time during the rewiring, even for a moment? Possibly shorted the +12v and/or +5v to the case?
 
did you drop a screw under the MB? sounds like something could be shorting...

that, or something (expansion card) is not installed right... dont laugh, but last night i was testing out my RMA'd 9600 pro, and the board was just sitting on my desk... well, i put the card in ass backwards (its one of those half width boards, so i didnt htink twice about it...), and hte system did excatly what yours is doing. powered for half a second, and everything shut off. once i figured out the card was in backwards, it worked just fine
 
lol @ the screw suggestion, no. I haven't removed any screws today actually.

It was the PSU that was causing the problem. I think one of the connections inside it is lose. I had pulled the excess wiring up and above the PSU to hide it (two sets of wires from the PSU unit) and crammed it up in there. It seems I pulled it in a bad direction, maybe some wires crossed inside the unit.

Just now, I took the right side panel off and straightened out all the wiring and it booted. So I'm installing all hardware now and it should work.

Thanks for the suggestion to check into the PSU. :)

I wish I was more savvy with them and a soldering iron. I don't feel to comfortable knowing that wires inside my PSU are shorting themselves out. :(
 
DieLate said:
I wish I was more savvy with them and a soldering iron. I don't feel to comfortable knowing that wires inside my PSU are shorting themselves out. :(


Isn't it under warranty?
 
To be honest, I have no idea.
I bought it about 16 months ago from newegg. It's a retail unit.
I don't know if they'd even replace it under warranty. It does work, you just need to be carefull how much you bend the wires where they come out of the unit.
 
Back
Top