RE: DELL Heatsink error

I was working on a computer for a coworker, which happened to be a P4 dell, they have air duct in there systemes. Anyways the computer was shutting down after being on for x amount of seconds, so I figured that it was temperature related. I removed teh air duck to see that one of the clips had broken on the intel rentetion mechanism. The plastic where it hooks on broke off, so I then removed the heatsink, and found a piece of foil with a black (pad or thermal compound, not sure???) underneath the foil. My concerns are 1, is that foil suppose to be removed???? and furthermore... intel retention sockets are very weak! I can send pictures of the foil that was covering the thermal pad or compound.

That black stuff is actually a thin layer of some kind of thermal transfer material.

The real question is the silver foil... between the processor heat spreader and the heatsink. I am not familiar with dell, but are they using some foil between there thermal compound?

if you ever fiddled with intel stock hsf, youll see black thermal pad. you scrape the black stuff off and youll find aluminium sheet

Originally posted by ziddey
if you ever fiddled with intel stock hsf, youll see black thermal pad. you scrape the black stuff off and youll find aluminium sheet

As ziddey mentioned many thermal pads have an aluminum layer. The best thing you could do is scrape off the thermal pad(Including the aluminum layer) and apply some thermal paste. Those thermal pads are horrible conductors of heat. Paste will be a huge improvement. ;)

Back