Re-building Nova; TEC Cooling + E4500 = :D

Emission

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys! I'm back again, and this time I'm getting an itch for some cold clocking action :D.

11/1 Update:
I'm doing the magic with an E4500 as opposed to a Celeron 440, reasons are stated in the update post.

I have a case and a power supply for this system already, so I'm left with choosing the pieces for the rest of the system. I'm already decided on the memory and the GPU, now I'm considering my CPU/Mobo choices. The system so far is as follows:

PSU: Corsair VX450W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003
Memory: Mushkin 2x1GB DDR2 800 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146118
GPU: Foxconn 8600GT-256 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814186023
Possible CPU: C2D E4500 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115031
Possible Motherboard: ASUS P5K SE - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131189
Cooler: Vigor Gaming CLT-M2I - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835702002

The cooler above was strategically chosen to give me the greatest headroom with the least headaches. I can probably pull some amazing results with it, which is exactly the reason why it's my choice.

The last thing I really need are some evaluations on my CPU/Mobo choices, moreso the motherboard. I need a hint as to just how capable it will be.

Lastly, the case: Rosewill R330-P-BK - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147077

I love this case, as it's one of the most well built cases I've ever owned, which is a *lot* to say for this price. I would just like a couple ideas as to what I could do in terms of a mod. It doesn't really call for one but I figure that it would be cool to do something to it. And if I mess up it's no big loss, I'll just get another and continue modding :).

Lemme know what you guys think! :D

- 1/10/08 Update -
I've recently picked up a little pocket change and ordered some parts. The parts I ordered are a bit different than the original list, and I'm starting out a little smaller in terms of cooling compared to the original plan, but I'm saving up a little more for a watercooling setup.

- C2D E4500
- AC Freezer 7 Pro
- DFI P35-T2RL Blood Iron
- Transcend JM800QLU-2G 2GB DDR2 800
- Hitachi 400GB 7200RPM SATA
- Asus EN8800GT + Zalman VF900CU

I'll post a little more on this later.

if all he's doing is solitaire mixed with a little pr0n here and there, why does it matter?

it would be alright, also, as a htpc, i believe.

It's really not that slow...

I had a Celeron D 356 3.33 GHz before, overclocked to 4.67 GHz. It was smoking fast in everything, even at stock speed, especially gaming. This is based on the Conroe too, it's going to be a *lot* faster. Can't believe you guys discount this so much, I have a feeling you haven't even touched this hardware, not to offend you or anything.

You can multitask with 1 core, I've done it plenty of times on decent hardware and its absolutely fine. I had a 4800+ X2 and I couldn't figure out what to do with the two cores let alone utilize them, not that I won't figure out something later.

Although, to be fair, I don't know if it's worth getting the E2140 or whatever the cheapest dual core is. IIRC it has a multi of 8x and it would mean that I need a more pressing board for the job, which defeats the point really.

*Update*: I checked out some performance results, and it's ever so close to its C2D big brother, it'll overclock like mad too.

Can't wait to smoke you guys with my Celeron :rolleyes:.

*Update*: I checked out some performance results, and it's ever so close to its C2D big brother, it'll overclock like mad too.

Can't wait to smoke you guys with my Celeron :rolleyes:.

Neither can I :eek: I hope you don't expect to play Crysis...

If you feel single core is enough for your needs, then by all means, go ahead with the Conroe-L. Its not that I need two cores working constantly all the time -- its for those times when I need to do a billion things at once. Sure, most of the time my 2nd core is unused, mainly cuz I'm at work most of the time or sleeping... but still, for those few moments that I actually need it, I think it was worth the price, since thats how highly I value my time.

If I was lookin at a C440 for $66, I'd also look at the E2160, since they can both OC pretty high. Despite its 8x multiplier, it can still clock high. As for needing a better board, most of the P35 boards can reach 450+ easily; though some boards may need a simple fan on the NB Heatsink if it doesnt use heatpipes. My mobo recommendation from your other thread still holds, for either CPU. With that said, I have a C420 in one of my systems and it works fine for my needs on said system. ;) I agree, everything I throw at it is fast, but I must admit, I don't throw much at it. :p

I know since dual core is such a cornerstone in the computing world nowadays, people just throw the single cores aside, insisting that they're too weak. I could probably swap a C440 for an E6600 in just about any of these gamers' systems and they wouldn't notice the difference.

*Update* For the sake of future-proofing a little bit more, I decided on the E4500 instead. 2MB of L2 in addition to another core is a good start to being future-proofed for a while.

I know since dual core is such a cornerstone in the computing world nowadays, people just throw the single cores aside, insisting that they're too weak. I could probably swap a C440 for an E6600 in just about any of these gamers' systems and they wouldn't notice the difference.

It depends which games. If they're playing any of the newer games, they'll notice; older games, not so much. The source engine was updated to take advantage of dual cores, too, and I do see a slight difference. It also depends on the person, lol.

I'm interested in how high that blood iron can reach... can you drop the mutli to 6x and find out for me if you get a chance? Thanks. :D

I'm interested in how high that blood iron can reach... can you drop the mutli to 6x and find out for me if you get a chance? Thanks. :D

I'm doing that this afternoon, I'll post back and let you know :).

The updated list you actually bought makes so much more sense than the original list it's ridiculous. I would've at least picked up a Scythe Ninja for the cooler, though. The ACF7 Pro is only a step above stock.

The updated list you actually bought makes so much more sense than the original list it's ridiculous. I would've at least picked up a Scythe Ninja for the cooler, though. The ACF7 Pro is only a step above stock.

I came up a little short and it was the best I could do above stock, but it's not a full-time thing. On the other hand I have a handful of test results.

I'm no real wiz with DFI BIOSs, and this one isn't the latest so I don't know how conclusive these results are, but I was able to POST at 425 MHz at one point. It's been recommended by a friend that the issue could be that the E4500 doesn't like the FSB and it's a CPU-based FSB wall, which I'm inclined to believe due to the individual testing of the RAM and other FSB-dependent components. It's said that the board will run in the 500-540 range with a Dual core, and up to about 470 with a quad core, based on tests from other users.

It's said that one person took it to 560, another to 540, I'm pretty sure there are a couple of people from XS that have gotten there with the stock cooling components of the board. My conclusion is that my particular CPU isn't suited for the high FSB, whether it be the E4500s in general or maybe I just got a not-so-great overclocker.

In other news, I did achieve 3.2 GHz @ 1.35v, 291x11, FSB:RAM 1:1, 4-4-4-12, stock RAM volts. Efforts to increase speed result in requiring upwards of 1.45v for a 100-200 MHz CPU speed increase that results in lots of heat. I don't know what to think at this point, but I have to rebuild the funds before I can put any kind of serious cooling on it.

My *real* plans from the get-go are to use the E4500 as a stop-gap for a 45nm chip that I may put in in the future, probably a Q9450. I'll keep you guys posted and I'll put out some pictures tomorrow. Looking back on the above results, I'll have to update my BIOS and go from there.

Back