re-allocated sector count

Hamateer

Gawd
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Messages
763
I got an OEM WD 2500YS about a month ago. It recently started giving me delayed write failed errors every time I try to write files to the disk. The WD diagnostics utility is failing the drive on the SMART test - drive has 104 re-allocated sector count. Is there any way to fix this? thanks
 
Hard drives are built with some "spare sectors" just in case some go bad during the lifetime of the drive. If the drive detects a bad sector, then it will remap the bad sector to a good one in the spare area. The drive remembers how many times it's performed this remapping process and when it happens too many times, the drive will report SMART errors.

As far as I know, there is no way to fix this on an IDE/SATA drive. I know you can do this on a SCSI drive using some utilities.

I don't really trust a drive after it has started to develop bad sectors. Your best bet it to backup your data ASAP and try to warranty it.

Riley
 
Back
Top