RDS CAL's question

jman0war

n00b
I have a legit copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, and activated it.

How do I get say, 5 Remote Desktop Services user CAL's?
Ebay?

I don't have some sort of Microsoft account or anything.
Hope i don't actually need one.
I'm trying to create my own little Citrix lab here, and yes I have experiemented and exhausted the EVAL.

Do you happen to know: would I get a CD or something with a Serial Number or CD Key?

Is that how it works?
I don't know how exactly I would be activating the CALS.

You will receive a license key and when you go to activate RDS you'll key that license key into the system (RDS license server) and they licenses will be activated.

If you have a business and stump up for the Action Pack you get RDS CALS there.

Call a MS licensing vendor, like CDW.

I just added some CALs to my open license, I didn't get a key from the purchase. I had to call the RDS activation line, they looked up our agreement number. Then I had to read them a code from the RDS Licensing manager, and they spit back at me an authorization number which I put into the server and it then granted the CALs.

But if you don't have an open license agreement, maybe they just give you the key.

You have to purchase hte license from CDW or Amazon or an authorized reseller. You'll get a license key to activate and it will pull the number of licenses available when it does

On the RD License server you have to activate your licenses by entering it in. It'll dial home and activate hte licenses. You have to point your RD Session Host to the RD License server and it'll recognize it and pull the license info from there.

Thanks for all the replies hereto.

I have a follow up question now however.

It seems no longer possible to purchase RDS CALS for Windows Server 2008.

So far the local Microsoft resellers I've received a quote from, only quote Windows Server 2012.

One of them said I should be able to purchase one of these Open license CALS, then downgrade via MS Volume Licensing.

One quote said: "WinRmtDsktpSrvcsCAL 2012 SNGL OLP NL UsrCAL"

Another gave me a similar quote for User vs Device cals:
"Win Rmt Dsktp Svcs CAL 2012 Sngl OPEN 1 License No Level User CAL User CAL"
"Win Rmt Dsktp Svcs CAL 2012 Sngl OPEN 1 License No Level Device CAL Device CAL"

Do you thnk this will work or are they just sending me up the path, so to speak?
I don't want to splash out and find I can't actually use these CALS on Windows 2008.

First, are you looking for device or user CALS? You should be able to purchase Server 2012 CALS and use them/downgrade to Server 2008 CALS.

To be honest in my scenario i don't think it actually matters if i get a user or device CAL.
This is a single CAL really just for a functioning lab / test environment.

To be honest in my scenario i don't think it actually matters if i get a user or device CAL.
This is a single CAL really just for a functioning lab / test environment.

If that is the case then why not just use the eval. license for 30 days (or whatever it is) and call it good? Or use Administrative mode?

Get user CALS and move on. You will need more than just the RDP licenses. You will need a single user CAL too IIRC.

Back